Navajo? Turquoise? ring with mystery hallmarks- help appreciated!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Marko, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I picked up two sterling turquoise (I think) rings at an outdoor antique show today. I don't even know if this is glass or turquoise, but the saw tooth setting and gold overlay make me think it is genuine. It is marked "sterling" and tests as such.... it was love at first sight no matter what it is, and it was only $40, so I am not getting hurt too much. The mark is a complete mystery, have been searching for hours, have no idea what or who made it. I believe it is Navajo due to the construction. TIA for comments and/or assistance! 20150802_175435-1-1 (620x640).jpg

20150802_175500-1 (640x472).jpg

20150802_175152-1-1 (1) (628x245).jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i don't believe so ..

3. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on what it may be? I am stumped. It doesn't matter, it is for my personal collection, but I hate when I can't solve a jewelry mystery.

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

5. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Shazam! You got it! I thought I saw a 12 then a K6F but then it must be 12 KGF for the overlay part!!!! Thanks! I was thinking the Big 8 mine or just a fake stone....

6. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Yeah, the whiter background is throwing me. It is a nice heavy ring, I love it no matter what it is.... strange the markings look hand-written in cursive.

7. komokwa

If anything.....it would be Zuni with spiderweb turquoise. !
    Old bisbee stones.....

[​IMG]

8. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I think it is man-made reconstituted turquoise.

9. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I think it is American- made whatever it is.

10. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Navajo silversmiths work with spiderweb turquoise....more modern artisans.

11. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Or the stone could be from China
    It's possible the scratched lettering was to make you think hand made.

From an article that really doesn't say how to tell the difference. But talks about the laws in New Mexico.
    "By the 1970s and ’80s, approximately 80 percent of the US turquoise market consisted of stabilized stones from China that were cast into silver by Native Americans. Though the stone was just as colorful, it wasn’t the same as a bona fide natural stone, and the value of domestic turquoise climbed. In many cases, the rising prices left local craftsmen unable to compete with the comparatively cheap Chinese product."

http://www.sfreporter.com/santafe/article-7629-how-to-spy-a-turise-lie.html

Still a nice looking piece, and one you don't have to worry about if you wear it frequently.

12. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Will Denetdale is one. The other sterling turquoise ring I bought today is his. The turquoise is from the Kingman mine, I believe. I will post a pic tomorrow. This ring has 14k overlay.

13. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Yeah, possibly a Chinese product. Good thing the other ring is the real deal.

14. elizabeth buckley

elizabeth buckley New Member

check out Nevadagem.
    Check out nevadagem.com They have photos of all kinds of turquoise including some rare ones that are no longer mined.

15. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Elizabeth, I believe it is Snowville variscite- here is a picture I found of a larger loose specimen that resembles the stone in the ring. Thank you for that link!!!!
    variscite_snowville1_zpsa4abfc4b (500x375).jpg

16. elizabeth buckley

elizabeth buckley New Member

You're welcome, I love stones.

17. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Another update- I contacted a turquoise expert. He identified this stone as chalcociderite, a rare phosphate found with turquoise and variscite. I sent him pictures, and he said it was an excellent specimen of this stone.

Figtree3, Pat P and quirkygirl like this.
  18. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

And the person who made the ring thought it was that's-a-nice-looking-stone.

19. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I had a feeling this ring was more valuable than the other signed ring I bought the same day. The person who made it did an excellent job, jmho. I am sure someday I will be able to find out who the artisan was.

20. komokwa

Why would a stone that no one knows about make it more valuable than a nice signed classic Navajo ring?

Draft saved Draft deleted