Featured Navajo ceremonial wedding basket or Pakistan copy?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by 916Bulldogs123, Jul 15, 2024.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I bought this basket and am wondering if anyone can tell me from photo's if this is N/A or copy made in Pakistan or somewhere else.
    It measures 13 3/4" diameter and is about 2" deep
    If more pics are needed let me know.
    Mikey
    100_2204.JPG 100_2205.JPG 100_2206.JPG 100_2209.JPG 100_2210.JPG 100_2211.JPG

2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

3. 916Bulldogs123

Sure looks the same to me.
    This is why I joined Antiquers so many years ago!
    Thanks @Roaring20s
    Mikey

4. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Sorry to say that that looks like a copy and not an authentic one. The biggest key is the material-- and this does not look like the plants typically used in traditional NA baskets.

5. Potteryplease

I just happen to have one in my case at the antique mall right now:

IMG_0401.jpeg IMG_0402.jpeg

6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Most wedding baskets used by the Navajo have actually been made by Southern Paiute and Ute weavers. They are made of Rhus trilobata (squawberry sumac) using 3 bunched rods as the foundation of the coils (which can be seen between the stitches in Pottery's photo) and fine splints of sumac for the stitching. The coils are worked from right to left producing a counter clockwise spiral on the inside surface, and the rim is finished with a herringbone stitch. You can see all of these features in the one Pottery shows. A "pathway" or "doorway" is created in the design, running from the center of the basket to the rim. This pathway is used to orient the basket toward the east during rituals, and the weaver ends the last round of coiling where the path intersects the edge so there is a tactile as well as visual guide to the proper orientation. The exterior surface of the basket is usually quite well finished, although not as smooth as the interior working surface.

The Pakistani copies are typically made using bundles of grass as the foundation of the coils, and palm fibers for stitching. They are not as carefully finished, and very often the pathway/doorway does not meet the end of the last coil at the edge.

https://zainhomecollection.com/hand-woven-baskets/

7. Potteryplease

That's pretty dang close to a 'Best Answer.'

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

9. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

2manybooks!!! Thank you! I was curious what the opening on the weaving meant!

2manybooks likes this.
  10. 916Bulldogs123

Thank you all for the information. It was only $15.
    So I still might make a little on it even though it's not
    Navajo.
    Mikey

2manybooks and Potteryplease like this.
  11. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Unbelievably, I found this one at the Goodwill, tossed in with the common Asian baskets. It has the center plug of cotton cloth that komo mentioned, and considerable signs of use and wear -

Navajo wedding basket front - small.jpg

Navajo wedding basket center - small.jpg

Navajo wedding basket rim detail - small.jpg

Navajo wedding basket detail - small.jpg

Navajo wedding basket reverse - small.jpg

I should give credit for one of my primary sources for the information about materials and construction -

Andrew Hunter Whiteford: Southwestern Indian Baskets: Their History and Their Makers. School of American Research Press, Santa Fe, New Mexico. 1988

Draft saved Draft deleted