Featured Natural (?) coral necklace. Anyone know coral types, etc.?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lucille.b, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Curious if anyone can help me with this necklace. Fairly sure it is coral. I think probably (?) not dyed... are the imperfections a negative or a positive? Is there a special name for this type of coral? Also do you think the 2 beads are something else?

Basically anything you can tell me from the photos much appreciated. Thanks!

coral1.jpg coral3.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The 2 odd beads look like early artificial amber.

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I'd be inclined to call it bamboo coral, although don't know that's a type of coral as much as a way of cutting it. All sorts of beads are coming up in a search, but this is what I think of:

https://www.dhgate.com/product/about-10x20mm-orange-color-sea-bamboo-coral/251677616.html

They do look natural in color. Imperfections are not acceptable in very high end coral jewellery, but I know I rather like them if the blemishes are not too deep & numerous. Largely a matter of taste & intended use.

judy, Christmasjoy, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  4. Lucille.b

Thank you, Bronwen :)

Curious if others have sold similar, etc. There is a lot of coral listed on Ebay so any keywords that come to mind to narrow a buyer's search would be much appreciated!

5. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Undyed old salmon coral tube beads for me:cyclops: @Any Jewelry , ô Coral Queen:)
    2 amber beads, I don't know if they are natural or man made:watching:

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I love it, Lucille.:happy:
    I agree, natural old coral, with possibly a few coral-looking strays.
    The amber beads look (wo)man-made to me, though not of the plastic bucket variety.:playful:
    Those tube beads were very popular in Tunisia, which doesn't mean this is necessarily Tunisian, but I would happily list it as Berber, North Africa.
    Berbers have no problem with imperfections on coral, I don't either.:) Most of my ethnic coral jewellery has imperfections. To many cultures that is what coral looks like.

@Lucille.b , I've been looking for one of these for a Tunisian silver pendant. Will you let me know when you list it?

7. Lucille.b

Thank you all for taking and look and your amazing expertise. :) Much appreciated.

Any Jewelry will let you know when I list. Should be in a day or two.

kyratango, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted