Native American pot Info help

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Zeppelin78, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Zeppelin78

Zeppelin78 Well-Known Member

D4E3E5DF-2E41-4847-82BF-B39497BA7E85.jpeg image.jpg E61C260A-87C9-4D72-91D3-50495F88E100.jpeg 270E3DA1-E1D9-492A-829D-983284A5F7E9.jpeg FF7DC9DA-2ED4-4A78-AA4B-C1F0C6592DEE.jpeg D4E3E5DF-2E41-4847-82BF-B39497BA7E85.jpeg E61C260A-87C9-4D72-91D3-50495F88E100.jpeg 270E3DA1-E1D9-492A-829D-983284A5F7E9.jpeg D4E3E5DF-2E41-4847-82BF-B39497BA7E85.jpeg Hello everyone have another Native American pot that I need help with for my dad he was told it was bealived to be from casa grande Az and is very old but people and there story’s are not always the truth to me it doesn’t look like anything new so I went with his story so if anyone has any info on this pot that would be great thanks. It’s about 3 1/2” top rim and about 6 1/2”in the middle.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

The pot which I can't help you with (sorry) DOES look interesting.....so does the rug underneath (which a brother has a large one similar), but I half thought we might see some green leafy stuff (sorry again!!):cool::p:D:oops::rolleyes::smug::smuggrin::joyful:;):hilarious::hilarious:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Casa Grande Effigy Pot......is not the worst place to start looking....but I'd put this in the face of a good SW gallery , who does pottery !!!

CASAGRANDE2.jpg CASAGRANDE3.jpg CASAGRANDE.jpg

judy, Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  4. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

I can't help with provenance but that is cute!!!:)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

This terminology is often confusing. First, there are two places that are often mixed up: Casas Grandes and Casa Grande. Casas Grandes was a pre-historic culture in northern Mexico, and the site where they lived and the pottery they made is often referred to as Casas Grandes.

Casa Grande is a town in Arizona, named for the nearby Casa Grande Ruins National Monument.
    The Native Americans that lived in the area of Casa Grande, who left the ruins that became the national monument, however, were part of the Hohokam, not the Casas Grandes culture.

There is no connection between the two, except that both adopted their names from the Spanish language: Casa Grande (big house) and Casas Grandes (big houses).

As to this pot, it is in the style of early Casas Grandes pottery from Mexico, and if it dates before 1450, when the site was abandoned, it is authentic Casas Grandes pottery.

To make it even more confusing, however, in the 1950s, Mexican potters near the site of the Casas Grandes ruins, began making "replicas" of the early pottery found in the area. Most lived in the Mexican town of Nuevo (new) Casas Grandes.

In the late 1970s, the neighboring village of Mata Ortiz attracted the attention of the pottery world for the pottery being produced there. It is still debated whether Juan Quezada from Mata Ortiz, or Manuel Olivas from Nuevo Casas Grandes, should be credited with the development of the pottery tradition now known as "Mata Ortiz pottery."

To add to the confusion, when the pottery first came on the market in the U.S., it was sometimes called "Casas Grandes Revival," until it was figured out that it really wasn't a "revival" since the potters are Mexican, and not related in any way to the original inhabitants. Plus, there was that confusion with the town in Arizona. So today the preferred term is "Mata Ortiz," although a lot of sellers haven't gotten the word, yet. (And some think Casa Grande and Casas Grandes are the same thing, just spelled differently.)

But to (finally) answer the question, it's not Native American since there is no tribal affiliation. If it can be proven to be pre-1450 A.D., it's pre-Columbian Casas Grandes. Otherwise it's Mata Ortiz Mexican pottery (which based on the photos, would be my assumption.)

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

& that's why we keep you around....!!! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Yay..Taupou !!!!:happy:

7. Zeppelin78

Like always thanks everyone you have been great again I guess the word effigy is what I needed thanks

Christmasjoy, komokwa and judy like this.
  8. Zeppelin78

Wow thanks taupou for the history lesson it was everything we needed to know thanks again And thanks to all..Matt

Christmasjoy, komokwa and judy like this.
  9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

To muddy the waters further, one of the main early importers of Mata Ortiz pottery to the US was Casa Grande Imports.

Christmasjoy, Taupou and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted