Native American Painted Buffalo(?) Skulls w/Signature

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Oct 28, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found these at a thrift store yesterday. They have native american(?) art and are signed on the back Cheryl(?) something.

Are these real? The honeycomb look around where there are missing teeth made me think it might be fiberglass or something similar?

Can anyone make out the artist's signature on the back? (first name looks like Cheryl and on one the second name looks like it starts with Mc?? (definitely not a indian sounding name!)

Thank you for any information!

ART COW SKULL ART INDIAN CHERYL 1AA.JPG ART COW SKULL ART INDIAN CHERYL 8AA.JPG ART COW SKULL ART INDIAN CHERYL 9AA.JPG ART COW SKULL ART INDIAN CHERYL 9AAA.JPG ART COW SKULL ART INDIAN CHERYL 9AAAA.JPG

judy likes this.
  2. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Real skulls, not casts.

Any Jewelry, wiscbirddog and judy like this.
  3. journeymagazine

Thank you Housefull - must be why my dog was so curious about it
    Now if I can figure out the artist I'll be doing good - is the art part of any tribe in particular?

Houseful and judy like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I tend to call this type of painted skull New Age.

reader, anundverkaufen and Jeff Drum like this.
  5. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

They may be bovine skulls, not bison skulls. An American Buffalo skull is very broad between the points where the horns depart the skull. And freaking massive. When I was younger, a friend worked on a ranch with a large buffalo herd and I helped reduce one to meat. Everything about them is bigger than life.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    Any Jewelry and anundverkaufen like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Without a tribe added to the artist's name you can't call these "Native American."

7. journeymagazine

Why I'm trying to find out artist's name!

8. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Yes, decoration to go along with the "dream catchers" that were in so many houses in the 80's and 90's. Not native american.

Draft saved Draft deleted