Native American Miniature Pots...who made them?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by moontymes, Dec 28, 2019.

1. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,
    I *think* these two miniature pots are Acoma and Hopi. The one I think is Acoma has a signature I cannot decipher and the one I think is Hopi just has an X for a signature. Am I right in my assessment ? :) thanks for any comments. IMG_5854.jpg IMG_5856.jpg IMG_5858.jpg IMG_5857.jpg IMG_5860.jpg

2. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

The first one might be Acoma, but it appears more likely to be Jemez, based on the design pattern, and the fact that it was decorated with acrylic paint (and apparently touched up with a black marker) rather than traditional pigments. It is also a decorated purchased greenware pot, made from a mold (you can still see the mold lines on the bottom and sides.)

Jemez potters are also more likely to use their initials in signing, rather than their names. It might be Angela Waquie.

The other one isn't Hopi or Native American. It's Mexican, from the village of Mata Ortiz, in northern Chihuahua. None of the 400 or so potters working there claim any tribal affiliation, and the pottery making tradition in the village dates back only to the 1980s. The "X" is just a decoration, not a signature. If signed, the Mata Ortiz potters incise their names into the pot before it is fired.

judy, 2manybooks, Bronwen and 7 others like this.
  3. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

Awesome info, Taupou! Thanks so much. I had no idea. Thanks again for being so helpful to me when I ask for help. I truly appreciate it.

judy, Christmasjoy, komokwa and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted