Nathan dining chairs

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by ACW390, Feb 18, 2021.

1. ACW390

ACW390 New Member

I know they're not antiques but, Id appreciate some input. I have just purchased these for £40. I am planning on just giving them a clean and reupholstering as close to the original colour as possible before selling. Was £40 a good price? Nathan1.JPG Nathan3.JPG Nathan2.JPG

2. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

Greetings. I'd say £10 per chair is a very good price, and certainly worth your while bringing them up to date (sympathetically) with suitable upholstery.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, of course. They're very handsome and nice to have the set. Assume current upholstery is an olive cotton velvet? Or a mustard? They seem to still be using a similar palette.

Debora

shades-fabrics_5.jpg

4. ACW390

ACW390 New Member

Thanks Debora. I think originally they had a light tan leatherette. I stand to be corrected though..

5. ACW390

ACW390 New Member

Thanks Ritzy. People seem to be asking good money for them on the usual sites.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I just noticed your intent is to resell. Is there a reason you prefer to reupholster rather than let new owners do so?

Debora

7. ACW390

ACW390 New Member

Hi Debora. I am working on the theory that I will be able to get a better price for them reupholstered. The cost of the materials is relatively low. I am happy to take any advice though.

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Absoloute bargain. Nathan was not cheap in the first place, they're solid wood and well made.

I'd not bother recovering unless you just do it in an under fabric. People want their own choice.

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You'd be choosing upholstery that may or may not be 1) pleasing to potential buyers and 2) match their decor. Unless you're a professional in the design field and have access to "to the trade" fabric, my suggestion would be to leave upholstery as is. Reupholstering will cost you labor but not add value or appeal. INHO. Others may disagree.

Debora

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    Bakersgma likes this.
  10. Ownedbybear

I'd agree.

Debora likes this.
  11. ACW390

ACW390 New Member

Thanks for your input. Certainly very valid points, thank you.

12. Ownedbybear

If you're selling in the UK, I'd suggest trying the MCM groups on Facebook. You ought to at least double what you paid with no effort needed.

13. ACW390

ACW390 New Member

I've advertised them as is. So I'll see what happens. Just given them a clean and polish. hank you all for your advice.

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Good luck with them. Sure someone will be delighted to find.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted