Napkin ring, help needed!

Discussion in 'Silver' started by silvija, Jul 4, 2017.

1. silvija

silvija New Member

upload_2017-7-4_21-25-37.png

Hello everyone! Bought this in a flee market for a bargain price, it's silver but i cannot identify any more marks. Any ideas about the possible date or value? Thanks!

2. silvija

silvija New Member

upload_2017-7-4_21-30-4.png

Would be also glad to receive some comments on this tea strainer!

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, silvaja!

Some silver marks are tiny. Have you been over the ring (both inside and outside) with a loupe or other magnifier?

Can we see the rest of the design?

As for the strainer, it's bit unusual in the crosswise orientation of the bowl. Also looks like one end of the strainer is closed and not perforated. I'm not sure it's for tea. Can you show more pictures? Any marks on the back of the handle?

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Hello Silvija, welcome.
    They are lovely pieces, but more picture of both would be welcome. Where are you from, maybe that can give us a clue as to where we should be looking for similar silver.

Bakersgma likes this.
  5. silvija

silvija New Member

Thanks for your responses, I'm adding more pictures! Both items were bought in Lithuania. Will be waiting for your thoughts :)

upload_2017-7-6_14-42-4.png upload_2017-7-6_14-44-14.png
    upload_2017-7-6_14-46-36.png
    upload_2017-7-6_14-49-1.png
    upload_2017-7-6_14-50-56.png
    upload_2017-7-6_14-53-55.png

Any Jewelry and yourturntoloveit like this.
  6. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

While that could well be a tea strainer, I have seen sugar sifters with the same arrangement...............I wonder...............I think the configuration a bit odd for tea............but then again, I have never been to Lithuania, so....................

7. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    Bakersgma and yourturntoloveit like this.
  8. Bakersgma

That arrangement for a "tea strainer" is more than "a bit odd" IMHO. Without holes underneath, the user has to flip it over or up to drain out whatever liquid is inside. And with the open side/end, it seems to be for scooping something up or dispensing whatever was drained?

The only thing I can think of for the K-90 mark is 90 kopeks - as in the price. But that would be Soviet era and this doesn't look that "new." Perhaps the 90 is related to silver plating?

Very puzzling.

Melissa Brown likes this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That K90 is a silverplate mark. I've seen it before. The engraving looks traditionally Baltic; I've seen similar stuff on really old Latvian pieces. Still not sure of what it's really for. You could put the sugar cube in the holder and pour tea over it?

Ladybranch likes this.
  10. Bakersgma

That's an interesting thought, Ruth. Serving tea in the Baltic countries is obviously not my forte.

Ladybranch likes this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2017-7-6_13-1-52.jpeg

Pinterest calls this a tea strainer

12. silvija

silvija New Member

well this is very confusing.. any ideas about the value of these items? bought them for less than 5 euros

13. Any Jewelry

You did very well. The value depends on where you are, or where you would sell them, but it is certainly more than you paid.

Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  14. komokwa

the ring is 10 euros
    the strainer is 17 euros

15. Any Jewelry

It is marked with the old kokoshnik mark, making it worth more than just any old silver napkin ring. There are many collectors of old Russian silver.

16. komokwa

Yes, that's true.....care to suggest a value ?

17. Any Jewelry

Sorry Komo, we don't do values here.:hilarious: But here is a clue:
    If I were to put the napkin ring up for sale, I would probably list it for 40 euro, but some sites will definitely ask more. Always add 'Russian silver'.
    I have no idea about the value of silver plate, but the tea strainer is nice, those repoussé floral swirls make it look like silver.

komokwa likes this.
  18. komokwa

You're so right....I had forgotten !! :oops:.....:rolleyes:

It depends on a number of factors....that most times we're in the dark about.

So, like you just wrote, " if it were mine, I would do this ! " ...& that's really the best we can offer.....our thoughts.....an estimate based loosely on our own situations......

Yes...there are folks who collect Russian silver......I myself sold 4 silver wine cups on eBlech....all Russian marked ....for reasonable money......but a single napkin ring .....I don't see folks chasing it.

That said.....so many people still ask for a value on their items , even after we've identified them......so I threw out some prices.......I'll think twice before doing that again !

Thank you.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Oops, got my tea strainers mixed up, the repoussé one was the one Komo posted. (Don't you hate it when you get your tea strainers mixed up)

komokwa likes this.
  20. Any Jewelry

It is very tempting to do that, you want to help someone, and in the process.....
    A value in Lithuania is probably something else alltogether. Then there is insurance value, auction value, value in a posh street somewhere, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted