Featured Naively Carved Wooden Panel

Discussion in 'Art' started by John Brassey, Oct 15, 2023.

1. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

This small panel (about 24” tall) is coming for sale locally. I can only provide a photo of the front. It’s described as oak.

Any thoughts on the origin or the scene being depicted? It looks like a seated Christ with two large men (one kneeling and the other gripping his long hair) and a guard peeking around the door.

Judas?

IMG_4520.jpeg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think the kneeling man is John the Baptist who is about to have his head cut off by one of King Herod's men, and the seated figure is Salome about to receive his head. ("Bring me the head of John the Baptist")

reader, mirana, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

I just thought of the long hair being gripped, a more likely possibility is that the kneeling man is Samson and the seated woman is Delilah.
    Delilah betrayed Samson to the Filistines. Samson's long hair was the secret of his special strength.

reader, mirana, komokwa and 5 others like this.
  4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

I really like that. Looks like it has some age. But how old do you think? A photo of the back would have been great. Maybe not antique? Do you think the wood was stained?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2023
    Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. John Brassey

I thought of Samson and Delilah but thought the seated figure looked mannish . Could well be right though.

Won’t see the back unless I win it. I feel it has some age. Doesn’t appear to be copying a known antique panel.

6. John Brassey

I think you are right. The composition has real similarities to this artwork by Reubens Screenshot 2023-10-15 at 16.32.08.png

mirana, komokwa, Bronwen and 5 others like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Maybe the artist was inspired by Rubens, although you wouldn't have thought it to look at it.;)

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The composition is so similar.

Debora

9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Stylistically, it looks 1950s to me

10. John Brassey

I missed out at the auction. Stopped at £90 sold for £110 I think.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted