Mystery textile indentification help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Lazy lion, Apr 4, 2024.

1. Lazy lion

Lazy lion Member

Got these at local thrift store but can’t get anyone to identify origin or what they are they are both framed beautifully and look amazing please help me identify these works of art 733942852.jpeg FullSizeR.jpeg IMG_1641.jpeg IMG_1640.jpeg FullSizeR.jpeg
    733942852.jpeg FullSizeR.jpeg 733942852.jpeg FullSizeR.jpeg IMG_1641.jpeg IMG_1640.jpeg FullSizeR.jpeg IMG_6623.jpeg IMG_6622.jpeg IMG_6621.png 733942852.jpeg FullSizeR.jpeg IMG_1641.jpeg IMG_1640.jpeg FullSizeR.jpeg IMG_6623.jpeg IMG_6622.jpeg IMG_6621.png

Attached Files:

wlwhittier likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You didn't give a size, but it looks like a Peruvian poncho or a lliclla. If it is a poncho there should be a slit in the centre. A lliclla is worn as a shawl, and it doesn't have a slit.

Lazy lion, wlwhittier and bluumz like this.
  3. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I agree they look Peruvian.
    Wow, someone went to a lot of trouble/expense to frame those. :confused:
    Sentiment?

wlwhittier and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I found a kimomo framed that way at an estate sale once. The framing cost more than the textile was probably worth, but hey.

Lazy lion, wlwhittier and bluumz like this.
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

They also might be from Bolivia.

wlwhittier likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Bolivian ponchos generally have thin colour stripes. Sometimes stripes and patterned bands, but not always.

Lazy lion and 2manybooks like this.
  7. Lazy lion

Lazy lion Member

Sorry idk how I missed putting sizes
    The rectangular one is 55"x18"
    The square one is 34"x31"
    The cloth is , not the frames

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Lazy lion

Lazy lion Member

There’s no slit that I can see in either any idea what it could be given the dimensions?

9. Any Jewelry

Either the slit isn't visible, or it could have been stitched close.
    I am not up to looking at a metric conversion table right now, so I don't know the sizes, but I still think they are a poncho (with the more elaborate banding) and a lliclla.

My mother stitched the slit in her Peruvian Cuzco poncho to make it into a tablecloth.;)

Lazy lion likes this.
  10. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Lazy lion and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

That is where knowing the size is important.;) Being from a country that uses the metric system, I had to guess the sizes.

Lazy lion and 2manybooks like this.
  12. Lazy lion

Lazy lion Member

Thank you so much I get your right that seems like it

2manybooks likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted