mystery stone head

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by hunt2, Sep 14, 2024 at 10:07 AM.

1. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

has anyone seen a stone head like this? What i could find on the internet is that i could be north american in origin? It weighs more the 3 kilo and has a hole in the top. IMG_20240914_152653702.jpg IMG_20240914_152706028.jpg

2. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

this has the same features 66.png

3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Context is everything with objects like this. Where did you get it? What were you told about it? What type of stone is it? (You should find a geologist who can examine it to identify the mineral composition.) What type of toolmarks are there?

There are only so many ways that the human face can be represented. Style alone may not be determinative. Google lens is not good at identifying faces.

This corbel from Kilpeck Church in Herefordshire, England, "has the same features" -

upload_2024-9-14_10-5-12.png
    https://sheelanagig.org/kilpeck/

4. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Yours does not look North American to me, and it's definitely not Pacific Northwest Native American in style.

5. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

Sadly no context, found it in a thrift store. And the type of stone is unknown to me. it atracts a magnet.

IMG_20240914_174314817.jpg

Last edited: Sep 14, 2024 at 12:01 PM
  6. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

couple of better photo's 3.jpg 5.jpg

7. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

this is a similair one with certificate 70.png

916Bulldogs123 likes this.
  8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

yes, but i didn´t know if the link stay active for a longer time. thats why i post screen shots. but allot of misinformation and not trustable sellers on the webb.

10. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Does not look Native American to me; and just speaking for myself, I would not consider the linked ebay listing to indicate that it might Native American, or might be worth $700. I'd agree there is a lot of misinformation and not trustable sellers on the web.
    It can be hard to verify age or origin with stone items. Interesting that it attracts a magnet....

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

well the seller of the head on ebay said mine is a reproduction of the real one. so it is solved.

12. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

The seller of the head on Ebay is naturally going to say theirs is an original. I don't consider that solved. I've seen some absolutely sketchy things being touted as various "original" items priced high that are clearly fake and not worth $5.

Any Jewelry and 2manybooks like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted