Mystery silver-colored tray or dish with worn engraving

Discussion in 'Silver' started by quirkygirl, Mar 9, 2016.

1. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

I don't know what this is made of - no marks, no wear spots where base metal is peeking through ... feels kind of 'soft' (if that makes any sense) Doesn't really matter to me ... it's pretty whatever it is.

I don't even know what to call it.

It weighs almost 12oz., the round body is about 6¼" DIA and 1" high. The handle appears to be a casting which was attached (rather blob-ally)

I'm not even familiar with how the design (a very worn, nearly smooth, bird on a branch) was made ... stamped, chased, engraved?

Any help or thoughts?

P1090165.JPG
    really ... there is a bird in there (very worn)
    P1090167.JPG
    top of handle
    P1090166.JPG
    detail of a leaf
    P1090168.JPG
    detail of border
    P1090170.JPG
    detail of tail feathers
    P1090173.JPG
    bottom view
    P1090174.JPG
    underside of handle (with reflection in the side of piece, too)
    P1090175.JPG

2. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

I think sommelier cup or tastevin - they have no real use today and are used more as a symbol of wine tasting/testing. It's neat!

Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 11.09.58 PM.png

A tastevin—a shallow, faceted silver cup—was not originally designed for sommeliers; it was originally designed for winemakers tasting in candle-lit cellars. The shape of a shiny tastevin would reflect whatever light was there, making it easier to judge the color and clarity of a wine. The advent of electricity pretty much made tastevins outdated. Winespectator.com

quirkygirl likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Hummm...don't think so...the sides are to straight up.
    & that tail , is no thumb rest !

During the holidays , Mom used to use a similar tray to place the wine bottle in ...so her white table cloth didn't get stained .

quirkygirl likes this.
  4. scoutshouse

You could be right, K -

Anyhoo, looking around for other handles I came across this cute copy: T is no hallmark on the Wine Taster, but I tasted it and I guarantee it to be Silver!

Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 11.45.24 PM.png

quirkygirl likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

:hilarious: "I tasted it and I guarantee it to be Silver"

I don't know what it is either. 6+ inches diameter is, as said, too big for taste vin, but it also seems to large for a bottle underplate/coaster. The design inside is sort of reminiscent of the designs on some late 1800's silverplated napkin rings I have, but that doesn't mean your item is that old.

I does strike me as something that should sit inside something else - like the dish part of a chafing dish. That might be a line to pursue.

yourturntoloveit and quirkygirl like this.
  6. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

It appears to be made of tin.

7. quirkygirl

Thanks for looking and also for exercising those brain muscles with your suggestions.

scoutshouse - it does seem a bit too large (and heavy) for a taste vin ... and that quote in your other post about tasting the silver :D ... yeah, if only it were that easy ;) I'd be licking stuff right and left in the stores and estates (not really, I have a healthy respect for / fear of germs)

komokwa - While larger than most, I was able to find a few wine bottle coasters that were around this large ... but I have yet to come across any that have a handle. I think a handle on one would serve no purpose and would most likely just be in the way.

Bakersgma - hmmmmm ... you may be onto something. :) The straight, un-decorated sides having that slight lip at the top could be explained if it were designed to sit inside of something else ... would explain the handle too.

going off to explore in this direction .....

8. scoutshouse

9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Would a bottle of wine fit in it? Maybe a wine bottle coaster.

10. quirkygirl

Solid tin?
    Would explain the vanishing design in the center ...
    Did people really make things out of solid tin?

11. terry5732

It may only be 98%, but looks higher than you would find in Europe or America. Usually the closer it was made to the Indonesian source the higher the tin content.

I would call the pattern stamped rather than engraved.

quirkygirl likes this.
  12. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Toy soldiers...........

quirkygirl likes this.
  13. komokwa

See the finds thread where this is also posted......

It may not be a wine coaster........but I'f shown that it could be.......or at least used in that way......handles be damned !!!

quirkygirl likes this.
  14. quirkygirl

Oh look! You found some examples of wine coasters with handles ... which I was unable to do. (sadly they're shown over there and not here ... but that really doesn't matter much) Thank you for showing them!

The idea that it may have been one (bottle coaster) was never ruled out ... in my thinking at least. It's just another possible use out of several which I am exploring.

15. komokwa

I'm sorry if I posted there instead of here......but I was challenged there , in a way that I had to respond .

16. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking that it might be a calling card tray. You know, you come to the door and deposit your card in the tray that the servant is holding. Also, the pattern may be disappearing because the piece was re-plated somewhere along the way. Just a thought . . .

anundverkaufen and quirkygirl like this.
  17. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

The straight sides are what made me think of a wine coaster. Does a bottle fit in it?

quirkygirl likes this.
  18. quirkygirl

Easily ... it is 6¼" in diameter ... it would be a very sloppy fit even around a magnum bottle.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  19. terry5732

l 001.JPG mags 001.JPG

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    quirkygirl likes this.
  20. quirkygirl

Exactly, Terry ... Look at how much room there is between bottle and inner rim.
    Yet, all the silver and glass coasters we've owned of this type were too small for most of our wine glasses to sit inside .... go figure :rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted