Mystery Real Bronze Candleholder

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by dgbjwc, Jan 19, 2016.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone - I'm at a loss on this one. It's a candle holder with a separate candle cup. I can't figure out why it was made this way since the diameter difference is very minor . The bottom is marked "Real Bronze" and 8469. (I'm not sure on that list digit). It stands about 4 1/8" high. I can't even decide if it's an older piece or a later reproduction. Any help regarding age, manufacturer, etc. would be much appreciated. Thanks much!
    Don
    DSC05592.JPG DSC05593.JPG DSC05597.JPG IMG_20160119_132411081.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Well, the detachable cup with lip would catch wax, right? So maybe being detachable makes it easier to clean?

Pat P and dgbjwc like this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

There are some things made by Judd Co that are marked "real bronze" so maybe that's a direction to looks. Removable wax cups are on a lot of silver candlesticks which do make them much easier to clean so why not bronze?

yourturntoloveit and dgbjwc like this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Have seen this mark attributed to Judd as well. I have an expanding book rack with this same mark.

5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Okay, folks, I think I figured it out. Your Judd clues helped immensely. At first, I was concerned because most of what I could find for Judd was book racks and bookends. But I think my piece actually served a dual purpose. If I take the candle cup out the back is flat. So it's a bookend without the cup and candle holder with the cup! Amazing that the cup wasn't lost years ago. Couldn't have done it with you all! Thanks so much!
    Don