Featured Mystery Pink Briefcase?! Eel Skin interior says made in Korea

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Shanell, Feb 15, 2022.

1. Shanell

Shanell Active Member

Hi! I am scouring the internet, and am not coming up with anything on this briefcase.

My grandma wants me to sell this for her, but I don’t know what to ask for it.

It seems to be very well made. Very nice details. The locks are made by Presto, and snaps say Matlock. We don’t know the combo, but they are on triple zero right now. I’m not sure how that works, so I’ve never seen anything like it. Can anyone help? 550599F9-9C1D-4A26-8860-B6123D898DEA.jpeg AF0483EC-D664-4122-B579-15A728EAE441.jpeg B1D25D85-5E97-48B3-BECC-BE39C2ABABC6.jpeg 658E4213-4AFB-48DB-93AD-4B5BAE0F60CF.jpeg 70D9D4C1-A21D-47A6-A2F9-92609C354487.jpeg 8D19FF7F-8E16-468C-8F0C-6EAB3939B75F.jpeg

Figtree3, pearlsnblume, judy and 2 others like this.
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

In my experience people don't buy these anymore, no matter what the colour.
    You don't see people walking about with them, its the same with Laptop cases.

All the information these cases contained are now stored on phones.

judy, kyratango, Hi2022 and 3 others like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree. A bit of a hard sell. Late 1970s/early 1980s in the dress-for-success era. Wouldn't have been terribly expensive in its time.

Debora

stracci and Shanell like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Is there anything else your grandmother would like to sell?

Debora

5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Both excellent examples. Very similar.

Debora

7. Shanell

Shanell Active Member

Yes, she has enlisted my help in letting go of some of her things. She has a fairly large China set, several old jars, old zinc lids, a few baby dolls, tons of books, an old school desk, sewing machine, primitive cabinet, unfinished quilt tops, lace/doilies, fabric, an assortment of silver plate, an old baby bassinet. (If you search my posts, I have a few with her stuff, mainly because I feel unqualified to help her sell her things!) I really appreciate having this group as a resource!

She isn’t 100% ready to let go of some of the fabric stuff. She’s also got some leather suitcases that I haven’t verified whether she is ready to sell those yet or not.

Figtree3, pearlsnblume and Hi2022 like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, of course. I see your other posts. Didn't realize they were all from you. How nice that you're helping your grandmother. Hope you're getting the help here you need.

Debora

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Did Mary Kay Cosmetics ever do Pink briefcases????

David Kiehl and pearlsnblume like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Screams 80s. I think the colour will sell it. Black or brown, I agree with davey, but that pink would fly out at retro fairs here.

11. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I was thinking that as well. Maybe a prize for a certain level of achievement in sales. Didn't Elle Woods carry a pink briefcase in Legally Blonde?

Shanell, judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  12. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I think the color will sell. Many search out Pink items for decor or usage.

Shanell and judy like this.
  13. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

My sister has a tool kit, the case and all the handles of the tools are pink :)

Shanell, judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  14. Shanell

Shanell Active Member

This was my line of thinking as well. Maybe eBay would be the best choice for this particular item.

15. Shanell

Shanell Active Member

Thank you. I am finding a lot of information here. Of course, the two main items I was curious about are the ones I’m hoping to buy from her myself lol

pearlsnblume likes this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Generally eelskin is a tough sell, or was the last I looked. Pink can only help.

Figtree3 and Shanell like this.
  17. Shanell

Shanell Active Member

Sept 19, 1978 is the date of the patent on the stays that keep the case open, so we know it isn’t older than that. Very cool!

Figtree3 likes this.
  18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I have my Dads eel skin wallet.....It weren't cheap back then...

anyone remember where these came out and the story of folks credit cards being demagnetized by the skin ???

ola402 and pearlsnblume like this.
  19. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I have to confess that I do not like eel skin. It creeps me out. The feel of it is slimey and well, eels, ick! And to think that people also eat them. Gag!

pearlsnblume likes this.
  20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Oskar! Oskar! (Eels always remind me of The Tin Drum.)

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted