Mystery Mintons Blue Bow Cup & Saucer

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Barbara Edwards, Nov 27, 2023.

1. Barbara Edwards

Barbara Edwards New Member

IMG_6299.jpeg IMG_6297.jpeg

Can anyone help identify this Mintons porcelain cup & saucer? The impressed stamp would appear to date it from the late 1800s. I’ve searched everywhere but been unable to find another like it. Any information would be much appreciated.
    Barbara

Bronwen likes this.
  2. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

There should be an impressed date code - see chart. If you can read the numbers and letters in the diamond and post a drawing we should be able to date when the pattern was registered. IMG_5692.png

3. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I'm kinda in the 1872 camp as I can discern the little date mark too well. Unusual shape. Breakfast cup?

Barbara Edwards likes this.
  4. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Looking at the photo it has a circle with a cross in it which could be the date code for 1882.

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm seeing 1882 too. This is one of those times I'm cheesed off that the diamond marks were impressed and always filled in with glaze.

Barbara Edwards likes this.
  6. Barbara Edwards

Thanks! It does look like the 1882 circular stamp. I’ve scrutinised the diamond but the marks are indistinct. I’ll have another look at it.

7. Barbara Edwards

Thank you yes perhaps it is a breakfast cup. Due to the simplicity of the design I did wonder if it might possibly be part of a child’s tea set. It’s just seems strange that I haven’t been able to find any other examples like it. The porcelain is very fine - almost translucent.

8. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Try rubbing some cinnamon over it.

What size is it? In general, a child's teacup would be smaller than a standard one, while a breakfast cup would be larger than a standard one.

I see the 1872 mark more so than the 1882 mark. The "X" is more spread out...

mintonsmark1.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 27, 2023
    Barbara Edwards and kentworld like this.
  9. Barbara Edwards

Thanks so much for your response. I think you're right about the date.
    The cup is just over 2" high and the saucer is 5" across which makes me think more and more it was intended for a child.

10. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Demitasse is a possibility, I suppose, but it appears rather thickly formed so it being from a child's set sounds reasonable. I don't know much about Mintons or if they made any/many child's sets, however.

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If they could turn a buck (or a few quid), you can bet they did.

Draft saved Draft deleted