Featured Mystery Linens

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Lynnie, Sep 3, 2024.

1. Lynnie

Lynnie Active Member

Help! At auction, I bought a large lot of what I thought were heavy linen tablecloths. Some of them were, but others seem to be more like sheets. They have a deeper hem at only one end with some embroidery, but the sizes don't match up with any sheets I know of. After washing, each one measures approximately 90" long and 88" across. So -- too short for regular beds, but too wide to be twins. They're old, but I really don't understand them. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Maybe they're not sheets at all?

Along with these mystery "sheets" there are four pieces of linens that measure 24" across by 45" long. They also have embroidery at only one end. What the heck are they for?

I haven't added any photos because all there is to see are pieces of linen fabric. The fabric itself is wonderful, but I'd really like to know what they are.

judy, wlwhittier and Bronwen like this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Please post photos. The style of the embroidery, and any other stitching that is visible, can provide us with clues.

judy, kyratango, Bakersgma and 5 others like this.
  3. Lynnie

Lynnie Active Member

I'll download some shortly.

judy likes this.
  4. 2manybooks

Another thought before seeing them - they might be curtains.

judy and wlwhittier like this.
  5. Lynnie

Lynnie Active Member

Two pictures: the first one is the top edge of one of the sheets; the second is of the top of the strange 24"x45" piece. They linensheet1.jpg linenpiece1.jpg are nice heavy linen and washed beautifully.

judy, kyratango, Houseful and 4 others like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That is exactly what we want to see.;)
    My guess is 1920s-30s bedlinen, but let's wait for the others.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2024
    judy, kyratango, johnnycb09 and 5 others like this.
  7. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

As I'm not familiar with the techniques employed, this will perhaps be a superfluous comment...but both of the upper hems shown seem to be a combination of doubling of the fabric with the attached edge not simply stitched down but somehow worked into the latticed narrow openwork at that edge. My guess is that the flip side would appear almost identical to what can be seen on this side.
    If I'm correct, I wonder what that type of seam is properly called? It is surely a time-consuming, eye-straining an' labor-intensive process...but the intentionally decorative work beneath those seams steals the show unless you focus closely on that sweet seam work. Thanks!

judy and kyratango like this.
  8. Lynnie

Lynnie Active Member

The technique at the top of the pieces is called hemstitching, I think. It is identical on both sides.

Any further thoughts on what they are?

judy likes this.
  9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Look up "antique bed covers." Might be under the term "madeira". Some are more elaborate. Like this: linenbedset1__53153.jpg

Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  10. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I agree with bed linens.
    Some old beds were different sizes to what we have today... which makes it hard to use the lovely old linens. One of the most common bed sizes was what we now call a 3/4 bed. It was approximately 48"x75".

11. 2manybooks

Be patient. I believe there are several members knowledgeable about linens, and they may show up.

Any Jewelry and wlwhittier like this.
  12. LucyLocket

LucyLocket Well-Known Member

I too think they are bed linens. As Bluumz has said bed sizes were different to today's standard sizes. They are beautifully embroidered - looks like ladder work below the hem which would have been a lot of work & very time consuming. 20240904_152355.jpg 20240904_152517.jpg 20240904_151801.jpg The long thinner pieces could be side panels - I have some which I use on a modern double bed. I put one long panel on each side and one shorter one at the foot of the bed, tucking them under the mattress so they just touch the carpet. It's a spare bed so is not made up at the moment but gives an idea of how the panels would be used. Please excuse the less than great photos - the light indoors is not great here due to leaden skies & torrential rain!

13. Lynnie

Lynnie Active Member

I had a thought about the small pieces as well (the ones that measure 25"x45" with the embroidery on one of the short sides. Maybe they are what was called "false bedding" - the pillow was wrapped with a piece, the embroidery on the front, to give the appearance of a set of bed linens but having them easy to whip off at night.

wlwhittier likes this.
  14. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

That's IT! Ladder work...Thank you, Lucy!

LucyLocket likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted