Mystery figure described as "c1760 white glazed porcelain." ANy ideas?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Oct 24, 2022.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

this came up at auction last weekend. The other clue is that the tag says it was in the Christies auction May 18 1989 from the Dr and Mrs. Barnbrook collection. I called Christies and they said they're online records only go back to about '89 and I did not find it there online. They also said I could make an email request to their main HQ and they will get back to me. YOu'd figure if this was really an important piece the auctioneer would have already figured to do that so...

2.jpg 1.jpg 4.jpg 3.jpg 5.jpg

2. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

I'm guessing it was part of a larger lot of porcelains grouped together

3. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

4. Woutinc

Woutinc .wordpress.com

This kind of pure white glazing in 1760?? I could be wrong but have some doubt. Or is it the image that distorts the color?

5. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

Sold for $100.00

Woutinc likes this.
  6. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Huh. Bow is early British porcelain, although I figure most here know that. Probably would've done better if it was listed as Bow, and would've done much better in Britain. Damage is a bit of a bother, but for 200 or so years of age it's not much and a better repair could be made.

Woutinc likes this.
  7. JB Miller

JB Miller Well-Known Member

8. Woutinc

Woutinc .wordpress.com

9. Roaring20s

10. sunday silence

these are some really great comments. How were you all able to identify it so quickly as Bow porcelain? from the creamy glaze? the soft paste nature? or this particular mold? thanks everyone for all the comments.

11. JB Miller

JB Miller Well-Known Member

My thought process was...I put dr mrs d h barnbrook collection into Google and the first result was this which had 'Bow Porcelain' in the title. Then I clicked on Google images and this was there so I then put nun reading book bow porcelain into Google and there are several results on the first page.

12. sunday silence

Damn. I think I stuck "Dr. Barnbrook auction" in google and got nothing. thanks for explaining.

Roaring20s likes this.
  13. Roaring20s

Yup, you need to go with all the clues and see if other clue emerge, and follow them.

kyratango likes this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That white came from Cornish china clay.

kentworld likes this.
  15. sunday silence

here is another similar piece found on worthpoint. The seller did not think it to be Bow because this one has a hollow base and all the Bows he saw had solid bases. Possible makers: Chelsea, Liverpool, Longton Hall, Limehouse. French suspects: St. CLoud, Mennacy. Possibly: Meissen. anyhow just in case anyone's interested:

mid-18th-century-figure-longton-hall_360_da3adfc973e4314992c6f5d85c2827f9.jpg

16. sunday silence

also apparently that's a cross on a beaded band (probably rosary) in her hand. It sold for $626 some ten years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted