Mystery china

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by silverthwait, Aug 4, 2015.

1. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

As most of you know, I have no way to post pictures. (And thank your lucky stars, as you all would have been inundated with questions!)

However, I have a cake plate with the oddest mark on the back and it is making me curiouser and curiouser!

The plate is like the Bavarian, Germanic, Altwasser ilk, in that it has those romantic pink and yellow roses against white with a pale yellow blush.

The mark is what looks like Mr. America, standing with slightly bent legs (with knee pads), arms outstretched from the elbow, and puffy dissimilar wings. He has an extremely nipped in waist, and is wearing something on his head like a large, low crown.

There is printing underneath, but it is blurred under the glaze and unreadable.

If anyone recognizes the gentleman, I'd love to know. If not, you can try to draw a description of my description! LOL!

:)

2. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi Silverthwait - Wagner & Apel used a mark showing a person with dissimilar wings but the rest of the description doesn't really match. Chris has a sample of the mark on his site.
    Don

3. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

I found this one in the only pitiful marks book I have - I think it matches the Company that dgbjwc is speaking of?

china mark.jpg

4. silverthwait

DGB -- Thank you! However, I will, as my father used to say when we were being really stupid, go soak my head.

I turns out that my plate is P. K. Silesia. However, the marks on the back vary widely. Is there somewhere to look up their wee drawings? I'd love to know when this very odd one appeared!

#191632209395 on eBay is the sister plate to mine. Unfortunately, the marks on the backs of anything I looked at are either 1) different, or 2 not shown. :(

5. silverthwait

LOL! Messi, that one is even odder than mine!

6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

7. silverthwait

It's there!!! Image 4-11, mark used between 1914 & 1918. "Often found incompletely applied." That's the one - :)

Thank you so much!!!

dgbjwc likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted