MYOTT&SONCo. Derbyshire Antique China

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by John2385, Apr 12, 2023.

1. John2385

John2385 New Member

Hello everyone.

This is my first post here. I found this site after my failed attempt trying to find information and possible value of my mothers antique china. It’s been passed down to her now from 2 generations prior.

What I do know is this. It is MYOTT&SONCo. England DERBYSHIRE antique China. According to the style of stamp on the back, it is late 1920’s to early 1930’s. We have only been able to find one single item from this set online, that was the large oval serving platter, and that was on Etsy. See link below.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/987...JXcp0PWvCkSgPrQAUKUAmIFUjYTk_VMBoCdeAQAvD_BwE

The set she has, is slightly different than everything else we can find online. That serving platter is the only thing identical, which we have seen. She has the full set, and is in near pristine condition. Below are a few more pictures. Please disregard some of the clutter which is also tucked in around the set lol.

Any information on this china, or possible value, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
    -John

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Hello, John! Depending on the pictures in the single listing you found, I searched Replacements dot com and found this listing for what looks very much like the pattern. The name is Rosemary. There is another shape called Rosemary (Square Scalloped)

https://www.replacements.com/china-myott-staffordshire-rosemary-smooth/c/64705

For future reference, your pictures are way too small. You can upload pictures of up to 1MB here.

pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. John2385

John2385 New Member

Hello! Thanks for your reply.

We seen those during our research, those are staffordshire, ours are Derbyshire.

I’ve taken a couple of closer up photos.

Thanks for your assistance.

-John

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Since Replacements does not show the markings, it is not possible to know whether their entire inventory of the Rosemary pattern says Staffordshire or Derbyshire. We need a British member to help understand whether the difference is important.

I assume you are in the US?

pearlsnblume likes this.
  5. John2385

John2385 New Member

Correct.

6. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Myott factory was in Stoke on Trent which is in the county of Staffordshire. Your pattern is called Derbyshire which is another county in England. From what I can see there is very little online, just the piece you found, others here may have better luck. You could try eBay for completed sales. It’s very pretty.
    B2F35190-0DFA-48AF-8770-375672733552.jpeg

Bakersgma likes this.
  7. Houseful

Here you go, some on EBay. I don’t do eBay but I know you can check to see if any have sold. Yours seem to be a slightly different shape. The number differs but pattern looks very similar.
    3069285E-C1A2-4E23-A7F2-E8C342E81AAE.jpeg 99325904-35B3-4B57-9DC0-D61010672A2D.jpeg

komokwa likes this.
  8. Houseful

9. Bakersgma

Thanks, Houseful! That shape is the one Replacements is calling
    Rosemary Square Scalloped.

komokwa and Houseful like this.
  10. John2385

John2385 New Member

These are very close to what she has, for sure, but still not quite. The edges of my mothers are almost perfectly round. Her patterns are 8490.

Also, I must ask… this eBay find, is spelled “Deryshire”, my mothers is spelled “Derbyshire”, as per the stamp on the back. Is this significant?

Thanks for the help so far everyone!

Attached Files:

11. Bakersgma

No. Just a random manufacturing error.

12. Bakersgma

13. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Probably a typo in the listing. People start seeing $ signs and get in a hurry.

14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Then they realize plates with gilding on them can't go into a dishwasher and come down with a thump. Those are really pretty, but where I live even the Goodwill has a hard time selling them for much.

15. Houseful

Typo, the backstamp definitely is Derbyshire as shown.

komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
  16. Houseful

Can’t go in a microwave either. You could ask a local Auction house their thoughts about level of demand and likely selling prices.

KylieS, komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted