My parent's dining suite timber type and era?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by REGinAUS, Feb 5, 2018.

1. REGinAUS

REGinAUS New Member

What a great forum. Interesting just reading and learning. So now I have a question:
    This dining suite belonged to my parents who bought it 2nd hand about 1960. They had the 6 chairs recovered and the glass pieces cut to protect the tops of the table and side board.
    The table is 5'x3' and extends another 18". There is a ring pull on one end of the table that releases the locking mechanism. As one end of the table moves out, the other end automatically goes in the other direction to expose the fold-out extension piece.
    Some years ago I had to remove the entire table top to move it through a narrow doorway. The extension mechanism, if I remember correctly, is cable operated and I noticed the various components were made in the USA.
    I have often wondered when this suite was made and where. Is it oak? Perhaps you may be able to offer advice. Thanks in advance for any information.

Dining 10.jpg Dining 20.jpg Dining 30.jpg Dining 40.jpg Dining 50.jpg Dining 60.jpg

pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Can't help with the furniture, but I must say I covet this little beauty!!!!!!!

ArtNouveauLady.jpg

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Those bulbous turnings on the legs make me think "Jacobean".....check that style out...........and wondering if that nice little "dish/tray" that Marie pointed out might be silver???

REGinAUS and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Looks Jacobean. I have had several Queen Anne and Duncan Phyfe with that cable extension.
    greg

Aquitaine, REGinAUS and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

She is lovely, classic Art Nouveau. WMF maybe?
    Great furniture too, REG.

Aquitaine and REGinAUS like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It meets the conventions for depicting Venus/Aphrodite.

REGinAUS likes this.
  7. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

1920s, I believe constructed of oak..
    But wood type is not my strong suit

REGinAUS likes this.
  8. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

This dark oak with the bulbous legs and your dark sideboard are often attributed to England. I was surprised when you said the metal components are USA.

The table is a library or sofa table.
    I would have put the style in the 1930s.

@verybrad

Bronwen and James Conrad like this.
  10. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yeah, are, those bulbous legs are called Elizabethan orbs or cup & covers, naturally all those old styles, Tudor, Elizabethan, Jacobean are all English in origin.

You see a lot of this "jacobean revival" furniture in america during the 20s-30s, it must have been popular because there is quite a bit still around.

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's tough stuff, nice and sturdy, so it doesn't tend to get killed like its more delicate counterparts.

Bronwen and James Conrad like this.
  12. REGinAUS

REGinAUS New Member

I was right, this is a great forum. So many of you giving your time and knowledge.
    James, I think you are right. Google "Jacobean dining suite" images and there are many similar suites. The sideboard has "1924" written in pencil on the back. I didn't mention that before as it certainly doesn't look "official". But, with the style and solid construction, I think it fits that era.
    I am amazed that of all the surviving old and not so old furniture I don't recall seeing two dining suites exactly the same. Surely more than one of some particular pieces survived?
    Thanks again for all your thoughts.
    As for the lady on the sideboard, I have done some research...

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  13. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

To heck with the furniture, check out that pair of vases!!

Bronwen and REGinAUS like this.
  14. REGinAUS

REGinAUS New Member

IMG_0808.jpg
    About this lovely lady...
    Funny, I was more concerned about the dining suite and other than I like the lady on the tray, I didn't give it much thought. It has always been on the sideboard since I was a child. That's where the car keys and loose change went every day when my father came home!

No, unfortunately it isn't solid silver :-( Some years ago I did look for a hallmark but couldn't find anything, and thought as it is just worn out silver plate there wouldn't be one anyway.

But, with your comments and interest, I had a very close look with a loupe and found these tiny marks on one of the feet. I had never heard of WMF, but they still make cutlery and kitchenware. Good to know it has a pedigree(?).

Another interesting sidetrack! Thanks to you folk.

IMG_0807(1).JPG

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  15. REGinAUS

REGinAUS New Member

Lol yes they are nice. They belonged to my Grandmother, since at least back to the 1950s, very much sentimental value. There are no markings on them so I doubt they are particularly special, other than they are a left and right pair maybe(?). Your comment made me laugh! :)

Bronwen likes this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

BTW - is your avatar some kind of logging engine? I saw the NSW location, but where I live that sort of angled piston usually means something going up fairly sharp inclines.

17. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

The 1924 date is probably spot-on for this revival set. It is oak. I also would have thought English with the form of that sideboard but guess it could be American.

Bronwen likes this.
  18. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Brad, I think the USA hardware is on the library table. The sideboard probably is English.

"As one end of the table moves out, the other end automatically goes in the other direction to expose the fold-out extension piece.
    Some years ago I had to remove the entire table top to move it through a narrow doorway. The extension mechanism, if I remember correctly, is cable operated and I noticed the various components were made in the USA."

Bronwen likes this.
  19. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

@estella You have plunged in with such enthusiasm, why don't you start a new thread on the Introductions board & tell us a bit about yourself? :happy::)

20. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, nice WMF mark, knew it.:smuggrin: Very collectible.
    Reg, how much time did you spend trying to say Württembergische Metallwarenfabrik?;)

REGinAUS, Lucille.b and James Conrad like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted