My Grandmas old books

Discussion in 'Books' started by Tony West, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Tony West

Tony West New Member

Hello everyone,

I am new here but figured that someone would be able to help me on this adventure I have been assigned.
    My grandmother recently passed away and left behind a house full of books. I have cleaned out the house and gone through some of the books. Many of them were donated to a local library. There are a selective few I kept due to age, 1st edition, title, etc. I live in an area that doesn't have an antique book dealer. How do I go about selling these books/ finding out values? I found a few on EBay but some I can't find. I just want these to find a good home. They seem to be in ok/good condition. It looks like some of them were old library books.
    I can provide more information if need be. I am willing to ship them in the lower 48.

Thanks. Tony

KingofThings and judy like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The first thing to do is check a resale site like Alibris or ABEbooks. They both list the inventories of book dealers all over the US and in some other countries. As a rule, library discards aren't worth much, but there are exceptions. You can always post some of them here too; we have some serious research junkies and a frustrated reference librarian or two. And welcome.

3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

After you are satisfied with what you want to know...
    I may be interested to see. :)

judy likes this.
  4. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I use the site addall. It pulls information from all the major online used book sellers.
    It only gives asking prices, however, not sold amounts. It is helpful if you can't find any that sold on ebay.

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME, Tony!!! Hope you have great luck in finding new homes for most of your Grandmother's books!! Sorry for your loss as well. I think the above members have given you pretty good info so far!!!!

judy and KingofThings like this.
  6. Tony West

Tony West New Member

I appreciate all the information. I will definitely take a look at everything. Thanks.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted