Featured My grandfather's 1900-1930 two chest drawers with tools

Discussion in 'Tools' started by bthistory, Dec 29, 2017.

1. bthistory

bthistory Member

I have been thinking about my grandfather's two chests. He was a craftsman, worked at the very early Fisher Body in Detroit, also made an altar for a local church in Freesoil/Manistee Michigan area, where my grandmother (his wife) came from. My grandfather was born in 1876, (I have his baptismal papers from then, beautiful, with color seal & looks like it might have printed just a few years ago). My dad always kept his dad's chests. Most of the tools he used are inside the two chests, (though dad had put a few in during the 1960s). I never met my grandfather as he passed away from hernia surgery in 1935.

I have several pictures of both chests. I don't know what they are worth. I did find blueprints for a home in Detroit, that I took out, not sure it was one of his residences or perhaps a home he may have worked on for someone else. But here are a few pictures. I will post four from the first, smaller chest & the next four from the second chest,the last picture is from the first chest again. IMG_20171229_150859595compressed.jpg I would be interested in what they might be worth & where I could sell them.

Attached Files:

2. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Such chests sell often on Eboo. Do advanced search for “sold” items similar and see what they are bringing. Might depend on whether there are any very desirable tools in it, like scarce wood planes new in box. Common ordinary tools don’t bring much. Chests are desirable. This is just general info since I don’t know that area. Ignore Eboo asking prices, sold prices are the only valid info.

CheersDears, judy and bthistory like this.
  3. bthistory

bthistory Member

Thanks. I will check Eboo out.

judy likes this.
  4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Wow! Welcome!

judy likes this.
  5. KingofThings

SO odd!!!
    I was watching the TV show Maverick and sitting on a cabinet I’d swear there was a Fisher Body coach! Like their logo!
    I’d bet it was a sales decor item for their shops!!!

judy likes this.
  6. bthistory

bthistory Member

Eboo ?

KingofThings likes this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

He means eBay. ;) Several members here use altered names in referring to other online sites.

*crs* and KingofThings like this.
  8. KingofThings

Mine is; eBidet. ;)

9. bthistory

bthistory Member

Thanks, E$tothemBay

KingofThings and Bakersgma like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

eBlech.....

KingofThings likes this.
  11. bthistory

bthistory Member

Here is a picture of my grandfather at Fisher Body, the second image is the altar he made for the church in Freesoil or Manistee, Michigan. I want to go there sometime. I wonder if this is still in the church? The last picture is his baptismal papers. He was Polish, though the certificate says Austria. I have this document, and it is in pristine condition.

Attached Files:

judy, Aquitaine, KingofThings and 3 others like this.
  12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

FisherBidyPaperweight.JPG

Would've been pretty hoity-toity for Maverick; the Fisher Body coach is based on a French royal carriage. Perhaps appropriate since according to Wiki the Tech Center was described as an "Industrial Versailles" by Architectural Forum. When GM reorganized, Fisher Body was no more, but the coach remains.

How big is the chest shown? Trying to gauge size of the tools. My dad's machinist's chest was full of small tools for precision work.

judy and KingofThings like this.
  13. KingofThings

Full images always please. :)

Aquitaine likes this.
  14. KingofThings

Ummm....no.
    It was sitting on a cabinet in a fancy train coach.
    :)
    Probably over a foot long.
    I’m sure it was just set decor that they figured no one would recognize. :)

judy likes this.
  15. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

...fleaBay...

tie.dye.cat, judy and KingofThings like this.
  16. bthistory

bthistory Member

Bronwen, sorry I just didn't want to go out in the cold last night to measure, much more enjoy the cold, when I can see it!.

I measured the chests, the first (smallest) (uploaded pix again), is 31.5" x 20' x 11.5'' & the second (largest) is 35.25" x 21.5" x 18.25".:phantom:

Attached Files:

17. KingofThings

Full images always please??? :)

18. bthistory

bthistory Member

The images are full, but they are compressed, otherwise they error out, too large a file...

19. KingofThings

A PITA to see on a phone and many of us use phones.
    So please always.. :) >>
    -
    A09450F8-AA59-4D94-BA40-989B3ACFF63F.jpeg

judy likes this.
  20. bthistory

bthistory Member

Okay, I am up. I will try. I see just the first image as full size. The first two are the smaller chest.:angelic: IMG_20171229_150859595compressed.jpg IMG_20171229_150458276compressed.jpg IMG_20171229_151717385compressed.jpg IMG_20171229_152334264compressed.jpg the slides I did originally.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted