My glass is self-destructing : (

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by TallCakes, Feb 18, 2016.

1. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

I used just this cake stand last week for a pound cake and needed to wash it off this morning. I noticed a stress crack that I had not really noticed before; it was about 3" long. The stand needed cleaned anyway so I washed in warm water and put it aside to drain. I then noticed that the crack was "growing", and quickly extending to the edge gallery on one end of the crack and further towards and around the stem on the other end. So I thought, "I'll check my old photos" and in the database photos I noticed a small (maybe 1/2") refracting light spot that seems to be origination of the current self-destruction.

The pattern is Hobbs, Brockunier #77 Stem (the plateau is the same on their hand stem pedestal) c1880s.

I'm guessing there is nothing to do now (or before really) but lament...

or maybe this one was just cursed because it is number 69 in my database! better go check #13!!!

this is a photo from 2010 showing a small glint of refracting light at the originating stress crack.
    editIMG_1439.jpg

the sunlight coming in the kitchen window reflects off the developing crack.

editIMG_6619.jpg

this shows how the crack extends to the edge and begins to curve around the stem. The dark line to the left of the end of the crack appears to be another stress crack in the making.
    editIMG_6621.jpg

editIMG_6622.jpg

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    dude and moreotherstuff like this.
  2. Jen and George

Jen and George Well-Known Member

I'm shedding tears for you. What a loss.

TallCakes likes this.
  3. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

GACK! How odd. It waited all these years - just waited - and then . . .

TallCakes and Jen and George like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

5. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

I once had a "bunch of cigars" figural glass bottle. I set it on a glass shelf near a window...in the winter. I'm sitting there and hear this ping/snap kinda sound from that shelf area. I check the bottle and it now has a crack from bottom to top.

Another time we were "privy" digging in the winter...temp around 30. The privies are usually 6-8' deep. At that depth the ground temp is constant at around 50 degrees. Usually you wrap up any bottles right away when you dig them. Well we dug a Turlingtons extract quack medicine bottle and just set it outside the hole because a lot of cool stuff was just coming out. About 30 seconds later we hear a loud POP. The poor little bottle had shattered into hundreds of tiny pieces.

If you dug a heavy glass type soda/beer bottle when very cold out you could watch the little fish scale flakes form and fall off the surface of the glass.

6. TallCakes

yep, this is another reason I hate to ship glass in winter...

7. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

So so so sorry, Cakesie.
    Do you think it was a manufacturing flaw, or an undetected (at the time) tiny little ding? This is probably a silly question, but... can you use any of the glass-mending technology (like advertised on TV, for example) to fix boo-boos on your glass?

TallCakes likes this.
  8. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Um...was that the old-fashioned kind of pound cake that is big and heavy? :oops:

:)

yourturntoloveit and TallCakes like this.
  9. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

So sorry...:sorry:

TallCakes likes this.
  10. TallCakes

it seems the stress started in an area where it was not as likely due to a bump but no way to tell for sure. Don't think it is something that "SafeLite" could help in any way. I'll just set it aside to gaze upon, and should the plate eventually break, I can repurpose the stem...

to purveyors of glass, this is a warning sign to be aware of any small checks or visible refractions, as they are can result in severe damage during shipment...

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  11. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Ahh, okay, thanks!

12. silverthwait

This is why I don't buy glass and china during the cold season. Abrupt changes in temperature can cause all kinds of trouble.

And Tallcakes, I realize this is idiotic, but it annoys me that one of your pieces could have this happen. I am indignant!

13. silverthwait

LOL! Skeezix, a few years ago, my family could have provided you with a number of bottles of Turlington's Balsam. Absolutely dreadful tasting stuff, but it works for gawdawful coughs. Paralysed the throat, that's why!

14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

What a peculiar thing to happen!

TallCakes likes this.
  15. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Sil...Turlington's balsam is among the earliest of patent medicines, having been patented in the 1740s. It came in a specially shaped bottle since around 1750. The exploding bottle we dug was circa 1840.

Circa 1830-50. About 2" tall.
    [​IMG]

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'm sorry to hear about this......glass is a funny creature.

Had a glass ashtray blow up on me once...

17. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The dangerous thing can be exploding paperweights and it can happen many years after making. Get the annealing wrong and it's nasty.

18. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Bear, now you have scared the Hell out of me. I have had glass crack on it's own but never explode. Now something else I have to worry about. I am looking with beaded eye at my paperweights. I hope you were referring to new ones, mine are all at least 75 years old. Something else to think about.
    greg

19. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

If they're that old, don't worry. ;)

judy likes this.
  20. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

A few weeks ago, I placed a piece of Imperial Cape Cod in my microwave, set the timer, closed the door, pushed Start button (oh so automaton like). A second later, realizing what I had done, I turned around to shut off the microwave and heard "crack!!". Too late. The piece had a crack that perfectly sliced the base right off like a sharp knife was used. Fortunately, there's a lot of Cape Cod out there (this piece was a Spider), but that won't always be the case.

I've always wondered why you can put Pyrex in a HOT oven but you can't use it on the stove top. What do they know about its manufacture that I don't?

Glass can behave strangely at times. That said, I will be posting a new thread to get your opinions about what happened to a cake stand I have. Later . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted