My first post on this site

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by jazzymac, May 23, 2023.

1. jazzymac

jazzymac New Member

Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I hope I'm on the right forum, I've been going through some boxes of stuff and I came across this plate I found. Honestly don't remember if it was at a garage sale, estate sale, yard sale, hope someone can tell me by the markings on the back of the plate what it says.

I'm hoping it will say the name of the company and maybe a date?
    Thank you

Attached Files:

Figtree3 likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hi, jazzymac! Thank you so much for joining us here! In the future, you'll want to make sure all your photographs are posted as Full Image rather than Thumbnail because that makes them easier for everyone to see. (And not to worry. All new members do the exact same thing.)

Debora

Chinese plate.jpg Chinese markings 1.jpg

3. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Click edit on the bottom of your post, click “Full Image” and most will want to see the entire bottom of the plate. You can still add that to your original post here.

beautiful plate? Charger? What is the diameter?

kyratango and bercrystal like this.
  4. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

This ebay listing has your plate https://www.ebay.com/itm/233210929416

Info in eBay listings is not always correct, but give you a starting point. Also ebay sold prices should be used vs the listing prices.

Listing says
    Vintage 50's - 60's Chinese Qianlong
    Nian Zhi Mark - Hong Kong or Macau

Famille Rose Medallion Kite Lotus
    Plate 10" Across

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That eBay description looks pretty reasonable to me.

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I've turned the mark around to avoid confusion.

Debora

Chinese markings 1.jpg

Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  8. Kaiserpoo

Kaiserpoo Well-Known Member

They still make these fake mark today I think.

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

With those thick black outlines on the butterfly wings I think Macau is likely. In general Macau porcelain was actually made in Canton but decorated in Macau. They loved butterflies and black.;)
    They still use 'Qianlong' marks, but there are differences from one period to the next in style and cartouche shape, and the same between manufacturers.

Most 20th and 21st century Qianlong marks are not meant to deceive, but are a reference to the greatest patron of the arts of the Qing dynasty, emperor Qianlong. Thanks to his patronage great art was made.
    So not meant as fakes, but as honorific marks, also called apocryphic marks

Figtree3, kentworld, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  10. Kaiserpoo

Problem is when a new unaware Chinese person read it just says “Qianlong year made”. It gets so bad we just assumed everything marked and name brand from china is fake. My mom literally think 14k and 18k mark means it’s cheap fake brass from china. She Didn’t even know it’s gold lol

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Not just Chinese people, many others look the mark up and think it is actually Qianlong period. We have had to disappoint some people here as well.
    Awww.:(
    Unfortunately China is very good at giving itself a bad name, even among Chinese people. Not just with those honorific marks, but more so by making deliberate fakes.
    Pity, because over thousands of years they made some very beautiful art.

bercrystal and BoudiccaJones like this.
  12. Kaiserpoo

Yeah it’s kinda funny give enough time these good quality fakes 100-200yr latter will become priceless antique also. Lol

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

The Art & Craft industry sounds 'dog eat dog'. As AJ said-I'm sure a lot of Chinese get as tired and disgusted by this rampant counterfeiting as we do ! But it's true that hundreds of years ago much tribute pottery was honestly created to honor artists & patrons of the past.
    Great Poets wrote tributes to sublime old paintings & pottery.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted