My First Antique -- Ironstone Plate, Who and What?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by birgittaw, Jul 1, 2014.

1. birgittaw

birgittaw Active Member

This was the very first antique I bought when I arrived in the US -- probably tugged at my Viking heart strings at the time. To this day, I still love the primitive look to the hunter and his dogs. Finally by photographing, discovered it said "ironstone" although I'd classify it more as tin glazed earthenware. I have never found anything like it, but since we have good eyes from all corners of the world, perhaps someone recognizes something about it?

013.JPG 014.JPG

2. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

I have nothing for you, but I also find it tugging at my Viking heartstrings!
    That is a beauty!

3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I've got adopted Viking heartstrings, having spent four years going back & forth to Iceland and probably eight or nine trips to Denmark and Sweden in as many years. That is one awesome plate! I'm going to have to look for my books on Celtic and Scandinavian imagery to see what those snakes & dragons represent.

4. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Ironstone? How odd. Not at all what comes to mind when I think "ironstone."

5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I know, eh? (Ok, I'm dragging out this Canada day thing.) :joyful:

kentworld likes this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I love the plate!

7. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

8. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Can't load the auction house link. I'm wondering why IRONSTONE would be marked in English on a Swedish plate from 1872. Not saying it isn't, but the English is throwing me a bit.

9. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

They probably exported a lot of production and knew more people spoke English than spoke Swedish, and were sensible enough not to be touchy about it.

kentworld likes this.
  10. birgittaw

birgittaw Active Member

Thanks 'Nuff -- that's exactly what it is! Feel a bit stupid, since I am Swedish and should have known, except never paid attention Much appreciated, just thrilled to find out after all these years!

Gustafsberg does have other marks that also incorporate "ironstone" but in a more cartouche like backstamp. Generally their 19th century production seems to have the Gustafsberg (with an F instead of a V before spellings changed in the Swedish language) as an impressed mark with the anchor.

11. kentworld

Well, there may not be a good translation in Swedish for "ironstone" or it may be that "ironstone" denotes more durable pottery that was advertised in the mid-19th c. Kinda like our modern "dishwasher and microwave safe" dishes.

Cool plate and I would've picked it up in a heartbeat!

12. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Love the plate but can't offer any help, I too have the ole viking blood running through my veins ;)My grandma on my dad's side is Danish and Swedish....

13. birgittaw

birgittaw Active Member

The closest I can get in a Swedish treatise on Staffordshire is "flintgods" which probably didn't sound as attractive from a marketing perspective as "ironstone." It really doesn't feel like any "ironstone" I have, more like earthenware with a darker body than the white the Brits strived for when they developed ironstone.

As a footnote, a member of the ironstone collector's group once told me a delegation from Stoke-on-Trent made a buying trip to the US to find examples of ironstone for their museum. Apparently, most of their production ended up in North America and there wasn't much left in the UK. After looking through eBay UK, I believe it.

14. 'Nuff_Said

You are most welcome, glad I was able to help.

I got a little time today and was able to dig a bit further on your item, especially in the fine decoration. This is what I found first:

Your item appears to be marked with an "E(?)" just below at right as indicated in red below. This "E(?)" could stand for designer: "JE Ericsson", but I'm not sure.

IRONSTONE-001.JPG

Digging a little further I found this: "After the Great Exhibition of 1851 in London, the painter Johan August Malmstrom designed a form of decoration for Gustavsberg that included a stylized band derived from rune stones".

Johan August Malmstrom: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_Malmström

If I'm not mistaken, your piece is designed in a Norse-style correct?

If yes, have a look at this: http://www.designarkiv.se/ur-designarkiv/bildexempel/exempel-02/

Doesn't that design and those roundels look familiar? Somewhat similar to the design and roundels found on your piece correct? Now look at the production year that linked piece was produced.

Now take a look at this: http://www.digitaltmuseum.se/things...Gustavsberg&search_context=1&count=221&pos=19

This too was designed by Malmstrom. Do you also see how that linked piece above is marked ("G IRONSTONE 77"). VERY similar to your piece........no?

I've done all I can do, the rest is up to you to put the pieces of this puzzle together.

I hope the above info helps?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    birgittaw likes this.
  15. birgittaw

birgittaw Active Member

"Nuff -- yes, yes, and yes! Apparently, the early Norse style of decoration was in high fashion during the 1870-80, and it is indeed exactly what this is. You have no idea how grateful I am to have an answer to what has been escaping me for the last 45 years.... I will dig some more now that I have all this invaluable info at hand.

16. kentworld

Cool info, and cool items. I wonder how much of that ironstone stuff Gustavsberg produced back then...

17. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I have a book about runes and those are not runes around the edge of the plate. Those are Celtic dragons. I'm seeing an Irish influence, but then Dublin was the Viking capital for 400 years or so.

18. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Here's an image of a Celtic double dragon brooch based on an image from the book of Kells

2012-04-19_12_37_06.jpg

19. 'Nuff_Said

And nowhere in those posts above does it state they are runes.

The point of post #14...

3 of 4 pieces below are IMO works of art produced by Gustavsberg in the same era by a very good and/or well known designer/artist.

47501-001.jpg

013.JPG

hd_item_20171_93728bcaa6.jpg

SVF007000_L-001.jpg

20. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I just remembered I have a Gustavberg Swedish Pottery "Argenta Bulbous Vase" with silver inlay fish. It was designed by Wilhelm Kage for Gustavsberg, Sweden, in the Argenta series. Mine dates c1940. It has Gustavberg's anchor mark. Is this the same Gustavberg???

--- Susan

GustavbergVase-Combo.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted