Featured My favorite thrift yielded yet another Awesome find "Ming Dynasty"

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by 916Bulldogs123, Jul 25, 2024.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I was just scrolling the Ailes like I do about three times a week at this store.
    On the row with the dishes and glassware i spotted this little 5 1/4" shallow bowl
    for .49 cents.
    I knew it was Chinese and looked very old and beat up a little. Is heavily age cracked and has a couple chips on the edge. But for less than a dollar what the heck.
    One of the well noted Chinese experts on a FB group I belong to gave this information.

It is late Ming Wanli Zhangzhou ware. Made in Southern Chine for export to S.E. Asia.

So, i had to look it up and Wanli was emperor from 1572 to 1620.
    Does this bowl look 400 years old?
    Mikey
    100_2326.JPG 100_2324.JPG 100_2329.JPG 100_2330.JPG 100_2328.JPG 100_2327.JPG

2. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

To find something 400 years old in the States-only the Archaeologists at Jamestown do that on a regular basis !
    Congrats Bulldog,you def aint bullsh*** about that bein yr fave/great Thrift.
    PS-If I recall right,you're somewhere down in So Cal right ? Not exactly the Styx,but you find some very nice stuff.

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

At 400 years old, it's allowed to have a few dings. Sweet!

4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Wow,does look very old... But 400 years! Amazing find,congratulations!

5. 916Bulldogs123

@bosko69 I'm in Northern California near Sacramento.

stracci and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Nice find, Mikey, and yes, it is legit.:)
    It is also known as Swatow Ware. Swatow was the European name of Shantou, the port where Zhangzhou ceramics were thought to have been shipped from. Later research revealed that the Ming period ceramics were shipped from another port, but the name is still used and if you google it you will find other dishes like yours.

We get these here too, because a lot of Zhangzhou/Swatow Ware was shipped to Indonesia etc. I have a few Zhangzhou dishes myself, but not this type with the red and green decoration.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2024
  8. Any Jewelry

9. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

916Bulldogs123 and Potteryplease like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Maybe from a shipwreck? There are a lot of shipwrecks with Export Ware in SE Asian waters.
    Study and exploration of shipwrecks is regulated, but that wasn't always the case. Besides, it is difficult to control, and poor locals dive to the wrecks to see what they can find and sell it.
    There have also been legal sales, of the Geldermalsen (Nanking) Treasure for instance. Your dish is older than the Geldermalsen shipwreck btw, so not one of theirs.

916Bulldogs123 and kentworld like this.
  11. 916Bulldogs123

Thank you all very much
    @Any Jewelry I thought it must have been from a collection or even a previous auction piece with the tiny inventory sticker on the back.
    I'm still in disbelief lol
    Mikey

stracci and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Bull-We lived in Santa Rosa for years so Sac was in our 'stomping grounds'.
    Old Town Sac's not a bad recreation of a California Gold Rush era town and has one of the best rail museums around.
    PS-Also like the Crocker Museum,the Stockton's ones nice too.Some huge Albert Bierstadt pieces in Stockton (if i recall).

916Bulldogs123 likes this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Yes, I think so too.
    Unbelievable, for 49 cents. They didn't even dare to ask 50 for it.:hilarious:

kentworld, 916Bulldogs123 and stracci like this.
  14. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

What a relief the thrift tried to at least get 49 cents for it and didn't pitch it. One wonders how many truly old items have been thrown out over the years.

Good eye grabbing that. Looks older than the hills, I'm not an expert so defer to others. Amazing if it is 400 years old. Great find.

Can see why it is your "favorite thrift"!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2024
    916Bulldogs123 and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. 916Bulldogs123

No, but they did charge me tax lol.
    Mikey

16. Any Jewelry

:mad::joyful:

916Bulldogs123 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted