Featured My Art-Deco blog

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by springfld.arsenal, Aug 1, 2015.

1. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Real Deco is so cool...

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Very nice pics, Spring. Also nice that they allow photography inside. ;)

4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Beautiful deco features... thanks so much for sharing your photos!

5. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Oh my! Lovely photos - and the nostalgia it causes for most of the "business" buildings of my youth in New York City is overwhelming! My first "real" employment was in a building down on Broad Street that was of that same genre (and age!!)

6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

My mother worked for many years on the 18th floor of a building on 40th, between 6th and Broadway. It had the most beautiful brass elevator and a uniformed elevator operator. As a kid, I thought it was really cool.

Here are a few photos of her building, courtesy of Google maps. I forgot how lovely the facade was.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Hmm, I couldn't copy/paste into the edit box and the upload button wasn't available. (Edited to say I figured it out afterwards.) Anyway, here are the photos. The bottom image is clickable, and when enlarged it's easier to see the detail.

bldng4.JPG

bldng2.JPG

bldng3.JPG

bldng5.JPG

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    My favorite building in NY was the Woolworth Building. The man paid cash for the building when it was done 13 million in a large suitcase. I just saw on TV that the top 30 stories are being turned into co-ops. I was very lucky once to visit the top floors. It was so unused that there were several inches of dust everywhere. The lobbies and elevators were so over the top as to be stunning. My gym was in the basement. Like I used to say before, it was so weird to see Mayor Koch there stark naked riding the stationary bikes. Women were allowed on Tuesdays only since there was only one changing room and bathroom. So it was closed to the guys that day. 100 wall street was the same as the Chrysler building without the Art Deco Spire. Two brothers building the same building but one who the hidden spire was lifted on top to outdo his brother.
    greg

9. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Coincidentally, I just mentioned the Art Deco building I first worked in a sort of memory/monograph about my first job (vs my current job) on my website.........and I must "know" the building you have pictured as I know the hotel next door. And THANK YOU - no matter how long it has been, no matter how City promoters will tout it, it is SIXTH AVENUE not Avenue of the Americas..............

10. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Yup, there's a hotel to the right of the building. I don't think I've ever called it "Avenue of the Americas" or even thought of that as its name.

11. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

At least the street signs say "6th Av" as well as "Ave of the Americas."

6th av.JPG

Kasperscuriosities likes this.
  12. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Great photos,I love pure art deco.

13. komokwa

A couple of buildings in old montreal like that....still amaze me.
    tourists too...:)

14. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

It turns out my mother's building has a name, the "World's Tower Building," and an interesting story. This NY Times article tells the story and has a closeup shot of the creatures adorning the building...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/04/realestate/04scape.html

More factoids... Ralph Ginzburg, publisher of "Eros," "Avant Garde" and "Fact" magazines, had offices in the building, probably after his conviction and time in jail for mailing obscene material.

This is getting more and more interesting. According to an article I found in Google Books, the building was home to several movie production and/or distribution companies in the 1910s, including this one...

upload_2015-8-2_0-6-59.png
    upload_2015-8-2_0-7-43.png

It's amazing all the interesting things connected in some way with one's life that you'd never have a clue about if it weren't for the wonderful world of web searches.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  15. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for sharing. Love the style. I also have some great memories of deco from when I worked in Manhattan many moons ago. One office I worked in was right across from Penn Station on 34th St and Fashion Ave. A block or so from Macy's Herald Square. I often went to
    manufacturers showrooms and the buildings were just so darn cool.
    They just don't make things like they use to.
    ;-(

16. Kasperscuriosities

Kasperscuriosities Two hundred years too late.

Thanks for sharing. I found the pictures very interesting. The courthouse here has some features like this at least it did the last time I was there. Everything here is changing so quickly and the renovation never seems to stop. It has been sad to see some of the older buildings with lots of character being torn down for more modern condos. Part of the reason I avoid downtown these days cause I don't want to see the "progress". No cool details just boxes. Ugh.

17. komokwa

Developers & city planners .........bin screwin us over for years.

Oh...not all of them........but enough.

18. fidbald

fidbald Well-Known Member

new arrival. calling card case ?
    upload_2015-8-5_10-20-53.jpeg
    upload_2015-8-5_10-21-20.jpeg
    upload_2015-8-5_10-21-50.jpeg

19. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Thanks Spring!

Very interesting stories of recollections of NYC. I have many early memories too because it was the birthplace of my mom and her family had a store - the members who came in through Ellis Island to become United States citizens legally.

20. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted