Murano pilgrim flask?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Marcian, May 26, 2016.

1. Marcian

Marcian New Member

Hi all,

I've already got this glass pilgrim flask for a couple of years by now and I was wondering whether it hails from one of Murano's ateliers? It looks like Nailsea glass which it obviously ain't and it stands like 17 cm tall.
    There's something in this veneer that I've spotted on the web:
    https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/dining-entertaining/glass/series-murano-glass-vases/id-f_2952603/

Anyway, thanks and sorry for the poor quality of the pics...
    Any guesswork would be welcome as I'm quite at loss as to its origins.

Marcian

Attached Files:

lauragarnet and yourturntoloveit like this.
  2. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

A few questions for you. To add to my knowledge.

1. Pilgrim flask? Doesn't seem right for what I know of pilgrim flask. Why do you use that description?

2. Nailsea? I agree not. Yours, IMHO, is better quality and value.

3. Possibly Murano. Definitely similar to what those craftsmen produce, but the site you linked seems to be way over reasonable prices.

3. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Hey, OG... what do we call that shape... bifurcated? Divided?

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

My knee jerk reaction is modern Chinese .

5. Marcian

Marcian New Member

Hi Johny!

Highly unlikely given the history of the object which has got nothing to do whatsoever with contemporary China. Unless you can come up with a proof that backs your statement, that is...
    It's worth having a look at the rugged aspect of the bottom of this glass object. Have a look at the pic. Also, another pic with this glass object within the cluttered context of other objects...
    Anyway, thanks for your guess work which I sincerely hope that will prove to be inaccurate.

Attached Files:

6. Marcian

Marcian New Member

Hi OldGuy!

Thank you so much for your answer! I'm also glad that you seem to like the object in question, judging by the way you describe it.
    You're right about my haphazardly calling it a pilgrim flask. I guess that's because of its shape that resemble those classical Chinese pilgrim or 'moon' flasks. But then it's an arbitrary labeling.

Regards,
    M.

P.S. Greetings to GaleriaGila too!

7. TheOLdGuy

Busty!

8. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Thank you, OG. Actually, that's perfectly descriptive! I think anybody would hear that and picture a vessel like Marcian's!

9. TheOLdGuy

Have to leave shortly,
    The main problem I have with that "voz" is that I have seen it before but my antique brain will not bring it forward.
    Maybe in the next 48 to 96 hours.
    Or let's hope Gila finds it before then.

10. Marcian

Marcian New Member

Oh yes. It's flat shaped.
    Yet the truth is that it looks a bit like what catalogues describe the 'moon' respectively 'pilgrim flasks'. It looks nice as a decorative object (though this is a highly subjective matter of individual taste). I guess you can use it as a vase, it's quite heavy especially when it's filled with water, it can accommodate like two or three roses. Apart from that it hasn't got to many uses that I can think of apart from its (doubtful) esthetic function. More pics of it, to conclude this thread with, against the photo of what this Christie's catalogue describe as a pilgrim/moonflask.
    P.S. The glass on the desk is Sklo Union, Rosice respectively Scandinavian.

Attached Files:

11. Marcian

Marcian New Member

Thanks for the try anyway, O.G.!
    Maybe a nice cup of strong black tea would help you. It helps you focus (I'm having one right now :))

12. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

13. Marcian

Marcian New Member

Oh no, you're a genius G.G. Amazing find!
    OldGuy was right to rely on you and he probably knows why! It's funny to know that my flask (or whatever) has got a cousin on tje East Coast of the US or wherever. (I'm in Continental Europe). It just proves that it's a small world after all.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  14. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Thank you! My pleasure!

Marcian likes this.
  15. TheOLdGuy

Marcian. If you can't count on Gila, it's time to call it quits. :jawdrop:

Thank you, my dear. Extraordinary! As usual.

BTW, that item has been relisted at the same price. At least the seller is not claiming it's Murano, though it could be.

It's in New York, a very high end waterfront village of Long Island.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've several of those Sklo bullet vases in assorted colours. That textured one is Ingridglas, I believe.

17. Marcian

Marcian New Member

They're quite nice, aren't they? Retro chic and there's a tinge of nostalgic cold war era patina about them hence the name 'bullet vase' (they were originally designed in the 1950s).
    There's this shop in Chiswick not far from where I once lived in Fulham which actually currently stocks them, but they come at quite a hefty price for a reason. (I haven't been for ages in Chiswick, it must have changed for the better and shook off its suburban, slightly dormant look)
    http://www.theoldcinema.co.uk/Mid-2...Rosice-Glass-Czech-Republic-c-147_167-p-11649
    You're right about Indridglass, it looks like it but it ain't though. ;-)

It's Ulrica Hydman Vallien @ Kosta Boden, Sweden on the left, while the rhomboidal vase is Jiri Brabec @ Sklo Union, Rosice circa 1969.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  18. Marcian

Marcian New Member

Wow! So it's a posh place (of connoisseurs). :) To be honest with you I didn't really like this flask in the past while realising that it has got 'personality' but I quite do now for a reason. It's quite quirky bordering on kitsch but then again, it's definitely not so when looked at devoid of prejudice. Anyway, somebody told me that because of the pontil
    the likelihood of being Murano as opposed to Czech is much higher.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  19. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

SIXTY QUID? Flaming hell. I knew the Old Cinema was a rip off, but that's absurd. I've never paid more than five for one, and that was only because I wanted the colour. Even Alfies don't charge that much.

Mind you, going on some glass retailers I'm a millionaire.

Chiswick is wildly hipster and has insane house prices, too.

Those textured ice vases are a right sod to id: so many people did them.

Marcian likes this.
  20. Marcian

Marcian New Member

I know. Mine is designed by this Ulrica Hydman (look how much she charges for her 'unikats')

http://www.kostaboda-artgallery.com/catalog/ulrica-hydman-vallien

Anyway, what's a fiver these days? Gone are the days when it could buy you something decent though I remember that I once bought a Meissen plate for 20 quid in Portobello. (which proved to be authentic).
    But such occurrences are one-offs.
    As for Chiswick, well, as I now live very central(ly) in Great Portland Street it now seems a different Planet. You've got virtually zero reasons to go there other than nostalgia trips. But at that time we lived in S.W.6 and Chiswick was within a walkable distance.

Draft saved Draft deleted