Featured Murano Glass Paperweight Value?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by John Brassey, Sep 27, 2023.

1. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

Good morning.

can anyone give me a rough idea of value of this fine paperweight please? IMG_3701.jpeg IMG_3702.jpeg IMG_3703.jpeg IMG_3704.jpeg IMG_3705.jpeg

It has one small bubble but is otherwise perfect. It has a sticker Venini Murano Made In Italy and is signed Versace Venini 1998/96

Figtree3, Boland, ola402 and 9 others like this.
  2. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

it's a good one - this is from the original late 1990's Versace Venini line - a second line was release - I believe it was 2022 - values really do go from one extreme to the other - but I follow the line and I have never seen this weight sell for less than $500 and I have seen it sell for as much as $2000 (these prices were for new never used) - the original line was designed by Gianni himself - you are holding iconic history there -

Figtree3, Boland, ola402 and 7 others like this.
  3. John Brassey

Thank you. That’s great to know.

komokwa, Bronwen, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  4. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Congratulations John-signed & sticker intact,amazing.

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

And its stunning !

Bronwen and John Brassey like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I've seen others made to either lay flat or stand up; they're usually worth more than other weights. Add in the Versace name and ...lookout.

John Brassey likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

where did u find it ???

8. John Brassey

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. evelyb30

I find my stuff at yard sales, thrift stores, estate sales, church rummage/jumble sales etc. You never know where it'll turn up next.

John Brassey likes this.
  10. bosko69

I hear you John.I went to a Charity that helps kids kick & stay-off drugs & escape the sex worker trade.They had a beautiful antique gilt brass & cut glass etagere w/a mirror.I asked the gal behind the counter how much ? She said-'$100 ?'. Well I hesitated,I felt guilty taking advantage of someone in recovery-she was somewhat 'spacy'.I also didn't relish the idea of packing/shipping a 300 lb piece of furniture.So I google-lensed it & showed her asking prices ($800-$1500).I told her don't sell it cheap & left.
    I feel pretty good the way it went down.I've found a lot of great stuff cheap-it was just this particular situation.

Figtree3, Boland and John Brassey like this.
  11. evelyb30

I've found a few good bits in bad locations. Unfortunately, if they don't put it up on Marketplace, Gumtree etc, the people who will know what it is will never see it. Even if they do know what it is and price accordingly, they may not be able to sell it. If it's a real hand to mouth charity, I figure buy it and sell it, and kick back a portion of the profits. Everyone wins.

Figtree3 and johnnycb09 like this.
  12. bosko69

This was actually one of the very few real Mom n' Pop charities,all volunteers,micro-sized 1 location.I think the volunteers pick up the overhead costs.
    These Mayberry-size towns are more than meets the eye sometimes.

John Brassey and johnnycb09 like this.
  13. evelyb30

The one I'm thinking of is in a soup kitchen building. They don't charge much, but their usual clients can't pay much. The jewelry pieces max out at about $5, and the household bits are in the same range. I never get change, deliberately, when I go in there.

Figtree3, John Brassey and johnnycb09 like this.
  14. komokwa

Did you steal it ?

I think Ruth has the high ground here..

If it's a real hand to mouth charity, I figure buy it and sell it, and kick back a portion of the profits. Everyone wins.

Potteryplease and johnnycb09 like this.
  15. bosko69

It's an individual decision and depends on time & place.Let's imagine this alternate scenario-The sales lady offers me a Rene Lalique' Dragonfly Brooch frm The Paris Universal Exhibition in 1900 for $100.....well, to be honest-my response may have been a bit different.

John Brassey likes this.
  16. komokwa

maybe more moral , than ethical...

17. John Brassey

Correct

komokwa likes this.
  18. komokwa

ok, I can get on board with that !

A Tale.....
    a not well known part of ancient Jewish law states.....directs...
    that finding a wallet in a common area where it is bound to be seen by many passers by..... is ok for one to pick up.....and do with it as you are comfortable.

Finding the same wallet in an out of the way area , that is not well travelled...must be left alone , giving the owner a proper chance to retrace their steps , and find it themselves.

I once found a wallet in a movie theatre , as the movie was letting out.
    I picked it up , and along with my daughter, tried that evening to return it to its owner.....with no success.
    The next day.....I returned it to the store the owner ...owned....and gave it to his manager....with his permission.

It seemed like the right thing to do at the time !

The story is different from yours, I believe , but my moral values stayed intact.

Figtree3 likes this.
  19. John Brassey

Full story.

It’s my 70th tomorrow and last Saturday I had a party. I asked for no presents and, apart from a few bottles of wine, everyone complied. However a friend of a good friend handed me the paperweight wrapped in tissue paper. I opened it and thanked her profusely without looking at the signature etc (it was dark and outdoors).

On looking at it properly on Sunday I realised it was by Versace and thought that the person who gave it to me had, on getting the invite via my friend, just picked up something from a shelf and wrapped it up without realising it’s value .

That’s why I asked on the forum.

I have now contacted her via my friend and she says that she knew exactly what it was and wanted it to go to someone who appreciated it.

I imagine that there’s a lesson to be had here (if something appears to be too good to be true - it could still be true) and at least I can now keep it with a clear conscience and add it to my collection of things that I love.

Sedona, bercrystal, Figtree3 and 5 others like this.
  20. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday, John!!

komokwa and John Brassey like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted