Featured Mt Washington Glass?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Desertau, Jun 26, 2024 at 2:13 PM.

1. Desertau

Desertau Well-Known Member

Garage sale item from way back, I probably paid $10 for it. It has a Pontil mark but no identifying marks.
    IMG_2024-06-26-101227.jpeg IMG_2024-06-26-101255.jpeg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

No idea, but I'd hit it with a blacklight and see if it glows. Just for the giggles.

3. Desertau

I’m not sure if it glows or not? IMG_2024-06-26-110114.jpeg

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I just LOVE that ! Those handles,so sassy ! Im no expert but I thought Mt Washington at first glance too.

5. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

That is a beauty

johnnycb09 likes this.
  6. glassluv

glassluv Member

I love this. My very first thought was Gundersen Peachblow, but the rose to a bluish fade at the top and curled handles reminds me of Mount Washington. That said, I haven't seen any documentation for this shape from either company. Maybe a whimsey?
    How tall is it? Is the mouth turned in?

bercrystal likes this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I don't see a glow, but it was worth trying. If it was glowing glass, it might have narrowed the manufacuterer down.

8. Desertau

The mouth is turned in a little and it stands around 14cm. I’m curious if it did glow under black light what would that suggest?

johnnycb09 likes this.
  9. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Uranium content which can indicate older glass https://www.ebay.com/itm/285879120993

bercrystal and Desertau like this.
  10. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

probably hard to definitively ID maker without catalog attribution. The color in these photos looks to be peachblow/peach blow (white fading to pink). Could only track down one similar which was 1893 Chicago Fair souvenir where seller attributes to New England Glass or Mt. Washington; at least this can help with dating. New England Glass called the color 'wild rose'.

1893 Chicago Worlds Fair Mount Washington Glass | Mount Washington Glass (mtwashingtonglass.com)

NEW ENGLAND PEACHBLOW 1893 CHICAGO WORLDS FAIR VASE MT. WASHINGTON BURMESE GLASS | #1813855372 (worthpoint.com)

EAPGS Pattern Index - WILD ROSE (OMN) negc

upload_2024-6-27_6-42-21.png

Last edited: Jun 27, 2024 at 8:14 AM
  11. Desertau

That piece is really similar thank you, using your information I did get one more result searching New England glass and I think it was the same worlds fair piece or another example. It was posted along side a bowl of same manufacture attributed to Fenton offered by live auctioneers, that hit surfaced twice and then it would not hit again… Google.

johnnycb09 and pearlsnblume like this.
  12. glassluv

glassluv Member

Absolutely fantastic that you've found this image!
    As far as I know, just Libbey, (using the original New England formula), and Mt. Washington were the only makers of World's Fair Peachblow.
    The more common WFP is much thinner.
    Exceptional. Congratulations!

johnnycb09 and Desertau like this.
  13. glassluv

glassluv Member

Fenton didn't come to be until 1905.

johnnycb09 and Desertau like this.
  14. Desertau

probably sloppy work by live auctioneers.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  15. Desertau

I found the other ones, the only one that glows is the toothpick holder, one of the tumblers might glow a little? At least I know the black light is adiquate. IMG_2024-06-27-095016.jpeg IMG_2024-06-27-094759.jpeg

glassluv, bercrystal and Bakersgma like this.
  16. Desertau

Different design, same shape for the toothpick holder.
    IMG_1785.jpeg

17. glassluv

glassluv Member

I believe this is a Burmese Mt. Washington toothpick. I've seen the same decoration on a documented finger cut top toothpick.
    Webb's Burmese were usually more elegantly decorated

johnnycb09 likes this.
  18. glassluv

glassluv Member

Can you get a pic of the tumblers in normal lighting?

Desertau likes this.
  19. Desertau

Tumblers in normal light
    IMG_2024-06-27-194610.jpeg IMG_2024-06-27-194636.jpeg IMG_2024-06-27-194929.jpeg

20. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

To be honest, it would be the auction house/cataloguer lack of due diligence - not liveauctioneers. LA does not authenticate or have anything to do with any items in their site except if you call something 'ivory'. Even 'ivory colored' or 'faux ivory' will get your item flagged and it will be deleted if you don't change it.

Desertau likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted