Featured Mosser (?) Owl Lamp

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Sep 17, 2019.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone - My Glass Animals book (Spencer) shows a picture of this owl lamp and identifies it as a product of the Mosser Glass Company. Mosser wasn't known for making original molds so I'm trying to figure out who may have had this mold before Mosser. The lamp stands 6 1/2" tall which is slightly taller than the book example of 6 1/4". I may be trying to make more out of it than it is but it looks a littler nicer than most Mosser products. Thanks for whatever guidance you can provide!
    Don

IMG_20190917_112219056.jpg IMG_20190917_112227578.jpg IMG_20190917_112236089.jpg IMG_20190917_112246382.jpg IMG_20190917_112254920.jpg

2. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

Other than Mosser, I've always seen these IDed as Smith. I've never found documentation that proves Smith made them. But I have seen references to their being shown in Mosser catalogs (but not scans of the actual catalog pages).

They are also frequently mis-IDed as Viking. Glad yours still has its eyes.

Any Jewelry, sabre123 and judy like this.
  3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thanks, UncleChuck! I saw those Viking attributions but pretty much disregarded them. I had a hard time imaging them as Viking products. Smith is an interesting possibility but I suppose I'll have to list him/her as Mosser for lack of a better ID. (I'll be selling this one - it's a neat piece but it lost out in the shelf space wars:sorry:). Your response is much appreciated.
    Don

UncleChuckTX and judy like this.
  4. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

5. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

Are the eyes really plastic, as stated in the MAGWV link TallCakes posted? No wonder they are so often missing. I assumed the eyes would be glass cabochons (if that is the right term). I've seen a few of these around, but never with the eyes intact.

6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Yes, at first they look like glass but if you tap them lightly with your teeth you can feel plastic. The lamp wouldn't be nearly as interesting without the eyes.
    Don

UncleChuckTX likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted