Mosque lamp, 19th c. Indian?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by AlexH, Mar 16, 2024.

1. AlexH

AlexH New Member

Interested in finding out more about this, but I haven't found much that looks like it online, especially the brass chainsof animals and human figures. But I am not experienced at searching for antiques. Bought I believe in India in the '60s or '70s, but possibly made in the 19th century?

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

AlexH and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
    AlexH and komokwa like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

With the deity (photo below) it is more likely an Indian Hindu temple lamp based on a Persian mosque lamp, with some caryatids thrown in for good measure.

[​IMG]

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Doesn't Islam have prohibitions against portraying the human figure?

komokwa likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Not all schools of Islam do. However, portraying humans in a mosque would be highly unusual, even in the more liberal schools. And Hindu deities would be a no no in a mosque.;)

AlexH and komokwa like this.
  7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I'm going out on a limb to say that hanging chain with elephant and deity does not belong to the lamp. Two very different things. Look at the construction of the lamp and then the construction of the hanger.

8. bosko69

Classical Mosque/Madrasa Lamp-
    [​IMG]
    Large glass lamps of this type were commissioned by sultans and members of their court for mosques, madrasas (Qur'anic schools), tombs, hospices, and other public buildings in fourteenth-century Mamluk Cairo. This example bears the name of its patron, Qawsun (d. 1342), amir of the Sultan al-Nasir Muhammad ibn Qalaun (r. 1293–1341 with brief interruptions), and was probably intended for one of his two architectural commissions in Cairo—a mosque or a tomb-hospice complex.
    *Crusaders may have seen these in the Holy Land & they may have been present in Al-Andalus (Muslim Spain 711-1492).

Last edited: Mar 24, 2024
  9. Any Jewelry

A stunning museum piece, but not really your usual mosque lamp.
    I have a Persian brass mosque lamp that is of the type of OP's temple lamp, only Islamic, sturdier, better quality, no caryatids, and older.

10. bosko69

AJ-Love to see yr mosque lamp.We love the older Moroccan/Islamic lamps-brass usually.Most of the Ebay listings,when they say old-seem to be really describing 40's-60's,though I'd imagine they get some older pieces occasionally ?

11. Any Jewelry

I'll see if I already have a photo of it.

12. Any Jewelry

Found a photo, not the best quality, but you get an idea.
    The openwork around the top and bottom has birds in foliage, a symbol of paradise.
    The cockerel-topped screws which secure the 'pillars' are alternated with crescent moon-topped screws.

5631567c-88f7-48fe-b093-0d5e733d735c - kopie.jpg

komokwa likes this.
  13. bosko69

That's a beauty !