Morrocan/Dutch Hallmarked Coffee Pot ?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by bosko69, Sep 21, 2023.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Here's a 7 3/4" coffee/teacup i picked up-it looks Morrocan but the base seems to be stamped 'Made In Holland'. That's what i see,but may be reading it wrong.I have no idea what the other two hallmarks mean.

Cofee1.jpg Cofee2.jpg Cofee3.jpg Cofee4.jpg

2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

3. bosko69

Thanks Roaring.

komokwa and Roaring20s like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice teapot, bosko. Tea, not coffee, Moroccans have a tea drinking culture. Moroccan tea is a mix of either black or green tea and fresh mint leaves, and lots of sugar.
    A Dutch-Moroccan teapot makes sense, we have a large Moroccan community, which includes artisans.

The star on the base is a symbol of Morocco, it is also on the Moroccan flag. The gazelle is probably a mhorr gazelle, native to Morocco.
    Moroccans are a very different group from the Afro-Dutch community. They are from the Maghreb, not from sub-Saharan Africa like the Afro-Dutch community.

Most Afro-Dutch are descendants of West African slaves who were taken to the West Indies. They have a long history with the Dutch West India Company, which had chambers in a number of west and north Dutch towns. As a result they have a centuries old connection with that part of the Netherlands.

Dutch Moroccans came here as migrant workers from the 1960s onward. Most of them are Berbers/Amazigh from the Rif Mountains, near the Mediterranean coast and a stone's throw from Spain.
    Rif Berbers/Amazigh are very closely related to Europeans genetically, but they don't have a centuries old connection with any part of the Netherlands.
    There are significantly more Moroccans here than Afro-Dutch people.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2023
    Born2it, Roaring20s, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  5. bosko69

Thanks AJ for the tea info & star/gazelle ID.The star stamp has an initial in each corner-S,A,T,L,A, but it could just as easily be 'ATLAS' depending on what initial begins the abbreviation or name.
    Wait...trying to discover who made this is turning into the DaVinci Code !

Born2it and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

The letters spell Atlas, after the Atlas mountains, a North African mountain range. The Western part of the Atlas range is in Morocco.

komokwa likes this.
  7. bosko69

AJ-Yes,I think it's common product branding in Morocco.Ah well-it's prob made in some tiny workshop in a stall of some souk by some skilled artisan known only to god.

8. Any Jewelry

Not too many souks in the Netherlands.;)

9. bosko69

I meant in Morocco,it looks like a lot of these come from Fez.