Featured Monogrammed plate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Capnbirdseye, May 9, 2016.

1. Capnbirdseye

Capnbirdseye New Member

Hello, can anyone identify the monogram on this Copelands plate please?

Attached Files:

2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi! I can't ID but what a beautiful plate.:happy:

And Welcome!!

3. Capnbirdseye

Capnbirdseye New Member

Thank you, I bought the plate in the 1960's & we could never work out the initials on the monogram

lauragarnet likes this.
  4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Someone else on the board just might be able to do that for you.

Just curious tho, as to the maker.

5. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

It's upside-down - perhaps 'KJR' (with the surname 'R' in the center).

~ Cheryl

49201661824.jpg

6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Looked like M and E the other way up.

lauragarnet and cxgirl like this.
  7. Capnbirdseye

Capnbirdseye New Member

Thank you all, very difficult to be sure of the initials but presumably this was a part of an extensive dinner service made to order & flowers appear to be hand painted as well

8. Wanttoknow

Wanttoknow Well-Known Member

I think your picture is upside-down: if to move it 180 degree you will see: K R ..., but I can't understand the last one (or two) letter. :pics:

9. Wanttoknow

Oh! I just wrote same about upside-down, but I didn't see your post. But my first two letters are different. :hilarious:

10. Wanttoknow

I am not professional, but... Is this plate looks like "hobby" porcelain or ceramic items from 60s, when people decorated / painted it themselves? I just forgot how this kind of items calls....

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  11. DragonflyWink

Actually, if you read my post, I think we have the same first two letters - to me the letters read 'KRJ', but the monogram would be 'KJR', with the larger center letter 'R' being for the surname. It's no hobbyist piece, that's very nice factory decoration, would guess late 19th-early 20th century (suspect the OP has already dated the mark)...

~Cheryl

komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
  12. Capnbirdseye

Capnbirdseye New Member

You could not possibly think that if you saw the plate in hand, the hand painted flower detail is superb, similar quality to Worcester

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  13. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Lovely painting and superb gilding, definitely not a hobbyist piece.
    Sorry the initials are too convoluted for me.

Mill Cove Treasures and cxgirl like this.
  14. Wanttoknow

Oh! I believe you. :oops::happy:
    @DragonflyWink Thanks for reminding this description: hobbyist piece. And also you are right about letters, because it is another person wrote: M & E. Well, my head is working better only after second cup of coffee. :wacky:

15. Capnbirdseye

Capnbirdseye New Member

I've not managed to actually find another plate with this colour and pattern on the web, has anyone seen similar design ?

16. DragonflyWink

Might not find that exact decoration, but would probably be easier for others to search for similar if you would share the back-mark...

~Cheryl

Here's a sold pair with similar quality of decoration, though different in the blank, design and color (their dating seems a bit iffy, so far as I know, that mark would date from around 1891 into the 20th century): https://www.rubylane.com/item/135488-708dishset12/2-Antique-Spode-Copeland-Hand-Painted

17. Capnbirdseye

Capnbirdseye New Member

Here is what I presume is the pattern number on the back

Attached Files:

18. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

As Cheryl noted the mark was used with Spode above Copelands China from 1891 on so I'm afraid it wasn't much help in pinning a date down. I searched Replacements but couldn't find anything like your pattern. The number could represent a shape or decoration number. Do you have other pieces in the pattern?
    Don

19. Capnbirdseye

Capnbirdseye New Member

Hello Don, I have no more of this pattern, I bought the plate from an antique shop in the 1960's & it's been on my parents dresser ever since, I wonder if it was a special order for a unique one off pattern for a complete set

20. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I agree with Cheryl. KJR, surname in middle like a good little preppy.

Draft saved Draft deleted