Monarchic Falconry? Hunting Scene; Repousse Copper

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by wlwhittier, Nov 12, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Sorry for the crummy pics.

It's about 24" X 17"; the copper is, perhaps, ~.020" thickness. There are quite a few double Fleur-de-Lis around the main image; a Castle appears in the upper left, and a stylized sun? with ~12 curved rays on its surface, upper right. The woman is haloed, and is apparently sidesaddle on a richly caparisoned horse...she would be the queen, or a princess, I'll assume.

Outlining most of the individual images are short 'rays' made by a dull chisel...many of these rays pierce the copper at the end closest to their subject; the work was apparently done from the side you see, over an identical, embossed image; either carved hardwood or, perhaps, a casting.

I've had it 25 years or so, and do not recall where or how it was acquired.

I will be most grateful for all your learned comments...and I thank you for lookin'!

3B67059B-0E2C-431B-A292-669F9CC4CADF_1_201_a.jpeg 3A6EF9CD-B270-4860-A21C-3C87B7EBBAA5_4_5005_c.jpeg E42B8BAB-BC22-4047-9673-DB9BBD43AE21_1_201_a.jpeg 734AC161-87F8-42A2-A53D-A3139A6AFF47_1_201_a.jpeg

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

VERY cool piece ! I dont think thats a woman myself. Its got to be part of some story or fable .I get a 50s vibe,but could be way wrong.

wlwhittier likes this.
  3. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

Johnny...do you have any sisters?

wlwhittier and Debora like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

At the risk of being pedantic... That is a nimbus over her head, not a halo.

"In heraldry and art, a nimbus may be considered distinct from a halo. The term halo can refer to an open ring of light or of gold behind the head of a saint, while nimbus refers to a solid disk of light or gold."

Debra

bluumz, wlwhittier and komokwa like this.
  5. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

One of the loveliest takes on MCM Medieval I've seen (unless it is ancient but prob not).
    Debora-Mind blowing 'scholarliness' (is that a word ?). We learned many of these terms in art class-the classic Florentine Renaissance 'half tondo or full tondo frame on this Masaccio'

wlwhittier likes this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

zzzzzzzd.jpg

zzzzzzzf.jpg

zzzzzzzg.jpg

Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
    wlwhittier likes this.
  7. wlwhittier

Ver' nicely done, MOS! I'm pretty limited in photo editing; I have only Mac Photo, and I'm only slightly skilled using that. Thanks!!

moreotherstuff likes this.
  8. wlwhittier

I'm always tickled to learn new words...Thank you!

9. wlwhittier

So...it's quite recent? Have you an idea of where it was done? Is there any reality to the scene, or is it a 'fantasy' piece? Can you possibly point me to others like it? Thanks, bosco!

10. wlwhittier

...An' so does bosco69. I've never seen anything like it, but I'm young yet.

11. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

I know a lot of falconers. I think they would love to have something like that.

12. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Whit-It's indeed a beauty.I'd just google 'copper/brass repousse + scandanavian,russian,polish,medieval,etc,etc,etc' and keep hunting.
    Keep looking for a small/tiny signet,initial,sigil,logo,makers mark-examine it w/a fine tooth comb for a signature (then do it again),a piece with this much artistry should be signed somewhere.

wlwhittier likes this.
  13. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Nope,but I have seen boobs before. I just think its unlikely that even Joan Of Arc rode around with her tits in the wind.

14. wlwhittier

Well put, Johnny...but I would question whether the mammaries are 'in the wind'...'tho whatever covers them may be quite diaphanous. Even if I'm wrong about sidesaddle, there seems strong overall evidence the figure is indeed female; among them the apparent headband beneath the centrally-parted hair, and the manner of dress about the lower body. Joan d' Arc she may not be...but I think she's a woman. With all due respect...

15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I was thinking maybe Queen of Sheba, but that didn't help me. One thing to bear in mind is that this is a procession of some sort. It could be a hunting party, but with a herald and troops at the back, maybe not. Anyhow, the focus is that person in front. The falconer is just another member of the suite.

wlwhittier likes this.
  16. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

There are elements that bring Eleanor of Aquitaine to mind, but can't reconcile the nimbus. Can't see it as Joan of Arc either.

17. wlwhittier

Agreed. It's gonna come down from the wall and be examined minutely. Meanwhile, I've noticed what looks like 2 or 3 initials (APG?) on the garment just above her breasts. Could that be just my fevered imagination?

At that time I'll take some better pics, especially of any likely signature or other mark I find.

18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

AP...or RP..... two letters only...

19. wlwhittier

Gee. No G?

20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

no...your G looks to be part of and upper and lower swirl in the design...past the letters..

imo

wlwhittier likes this.