Mold-blown Cobalt blue glass stepped bowl with silver overlay - ID?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by moreotherstuff, Sep 10, 2014.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Any thoughts on where or when this bowl was made? It looks mold-blown (no apparent seams). There is no pontil mark. The rims of bowl and lid are ground and polished. The steps of the bowl and lid are decorated with thin beads of overlay silver. The bowl by itself stands 2 ½” high and measures about 5 ¼” across the top rim. The bottom is about 2 ¾” across. To the top of the lid’s finial, bowl and lid together stand about 4 ½”. The lid slightly overlaps the bowl.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Reminds me of Hazel Atlas Moderntone sugar bowl but I don't believe that they used silver overlay. Note: REMINDS me - I doubt that it is........................but at least this bumps you up............

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Beautiful bowl, I am getting the vibe of Italian 1950.
    Hi Mansons, it does give the shape and color of Moderntone but with a ground and polished edges,better quality. I had a vase very similar shape and color with silver deposit view of Venice, thus the Italian vibe.
    greg

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Thanks to both for taking a look. Now that you bring it to my attention, it does look like that Venetian glass.

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It's beautiful! (Another useless reply, but I like it!)

Draft saved Draft deleted