Modernist vase?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by verybrad, Jan 13, 2024.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I guess this is a vase. Would call this modernist (or maybe brutalist?). Bought from a dealer friend who got it at a local garage sale so no provenance. Appears to be silver(plate?). Not magnetic. Body is acid etched. Seam on one side so cut out flat, etched, and then soldered. No marks anywhere. Screws on to a base made of dark walnut or maybe ebony. Base has a slight lip that vase fits down in to so turned to exact size. About 3 1/4" tall x 3" diameter at base. Any idea of origin? Patina applied or natural? Should I polish?

conical.jpg

conical2.jpg

conical3.jpg

judy, komokwa, Miscstuff and 4 others like this.
  2. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Never seen one before. Might be a candle holder. Personally I would polish the high relief and leave the low relief black just for fun.:bag:

judy likes this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I, also, am inclined to selectively polish it. Completely hollow so would not work well for a candlestick. I am beginning to think this is probably an artisan piece. Really surprised it is not signed.

I just did a deep scratch test on the bottom and this may be sterling. Nitric acid turned slightly milky, then turned the test area black. No bubbling or other reaction. I don't have a silver test reagent so used the 22K gold nitric solution. One youtube video I saw said to use the 18K solution so maybe what I used was too strong. I am not really sure what I should be looking for.

komokwa and judy like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

whatever it is......it's nice !
    I don't think a light polish would hurt......& maybe even reveal a mark !!

judy likes this.
  5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Using 18k acid on a touchstone the scratch disappears then reappears as slightly bluish colored white-silver flakes. I always use a touch stone, I never put acid on the piece, it leaves a mark that can be a devil to polish out!

If it's silver plate the scratch will either fade and not come back at all or will come back with just a few flakes.

I have never been able to read the results with silver acid, the various shades of red always look the same to me!

SilverResult.jpg

Lucille.b, verybrad and komokwa like this.