Modernist painting, signed. Help with signature.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lucille.b, Aug 9, 2023.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

A friend picked this up at a Boulder, Colorado estate sale. Sent me a few pics by phone, hoping together we could decipher the signature. The photos he sent make the painting look somewhat taller than it is, sizing is approx 22 x 8 inches. Apparently painted on canvas, the canvas is stapled to a plywood, then all of that framed.

I can't make head's or tails out of the signature, a bit of a Hail Mary, anyone recognize this artist? Thanks!

pic3.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic1.jpg

kyratango likes this.
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

This is borderline hallucinating on the sig:

HAMMOND

The first three letters in the sig would be a mashup if my hallucination holds any water at all...

3. Lucille.b

Thank you, Sabre. That's a good suggestion!

sabre123 and komokwa like this.
  4. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Hammond is what I see too when looking at it while blinking quickly (my trick to concentrate on such deciphering ;))

Lucille.b and sabre123 like this.
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I'd been seeing the HA or AH as possibilities and the "mond" as possible but I'm having trouble seeing double "m".

Hamond?

My parents had friends with last name Almond (I think that spelling) so I see that too.

Sorry, just guessing.

6. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Could be it.

Lucille.b and kyratango like this.
  7. Lucille.b

Thanks for giving it a try. :)

I think the only hope is if this might be a known artist and someone who knows that artist's work recognizes the style and therefore the signature.

Again, not my painting, but I know sometimes miracles occur on this site, so thought I'd give it a shot.

Cheers, all.

Draft saved Draft deleted