Featured Modern Incised Navajo Pottery ?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by bosko69, Apr 24, 2023.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

This is more of a general question about the newer incised & really brightly painted (garish ?) Navajo Pottery.I'm not asking abt this artist's worth or standing-just wanted to know where this type of 'touristy' ceramics come from ?
    PS-All touted as being Navajo made/signed & value is mostly minimal.

navajo.jpg navajo2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
  2. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Mesa Verde
    Mikey

judy, pearlsnblume and wlwhittier like this.
  3. bosko69

Thanks Mikey for the Mesa Verde provenance.I was specifically wondering who actually marketed/promoted this trend to begin with,seems like a big change from previous traditional styles.I look up Meas Verde pottery history.

judy, 916Bulldogs123 and wlwhittier like this.
  4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

komokwa, judy, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  5. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

The Navajo have long been able to adopt the art work from other cultures, and making it their own over time. This is a good example. It isn't too clear where, or who started making this style of "Navajo" pottery, but it doesn't resemble in any way the traditional brown clay, coated with pinon pitch pottery that they made until they started making this style. But their traditional pottery wasn't a big seller, and this style apparently is, so a lot of it is being produced.

It is usually made from mold-made purchased greenware and decorated with color and incising, and is a popular tourist item. Several other factories besides Mesa Verde Pottery are selling it, as well as some individual potters. The Ute tribe recently purchased the Mesa Verde factory, but presumably will continue to hire Navajo workers to decorate and sign the pieces.

Other factories making similar tourist-oriented pottery include Cedar Mesa, Desert Pueblo, Kopa, Ute Mountain Pottery, and Tesa, among others.

reader, komokwa, judy and 5 others like this.
  6. bosko69

Thanks for the great insight Taupou.I guess most tribes have adapted to fit their customers tastes,and for a very modest fee-a cheap tourist souvenir.
    Not my fave period of Navajo art/craft-but ya gotta eat.

judy and wlwhittier like this.
  7. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I sold a 2"x1" pot for $28 on Etsy. navajo pot.jpg

komokwa likes this.
  8. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I have one I'm going to list.
    By Perfina Rockwell Navajo
    Hope to get at least $25.
    Mikey

9. bosko69

Some of these must go for more depending on the artist-not sure what search terms singles this out from the more traditional stuff-'Modern','Incised',etc.
    It's the only stuff available cheaply anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted