Modern Capodimonte mark

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by J Dagger, Jan 5, 2020.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Not sure why but I picked this up at a thrift store a month or two ago. Figured I could make a quick few quid selling it since it was so cheap. Looks like it was made in the last 50 years or so. Probably in the last 20 but I’m not sure. I’m guessing the marks don’t add any value but hoping maybe someone recognizes them just for the sake of knowing. I threw it up at around $90 or so while shooting for the moon. No hits and I’m guessing I’ll have to drop it quite a bit lower. So fragile I probably should have just left if there. Since I have it I may as well run it past y’all in case I’m missing something here. Some grandma somewhere surely needs a cute boy in a tree, no? 35145543-126A-495C-BC1D-3681AB08EB59.jpeg A02C7194-9A61-400E-BB22-57950E04096D.jpeg

dude likes this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Capodimonte is a city in Italy with a lot of pottery made there.
    Which factory made this, I'm sorry I don't know.

Appears to be 1940s-50s figurine.
    Your asking price is a little out of line it that is US dollars.

Also check it over carefully as I see damage.
    upload_2020-1-5_21-9-45.png

3. J Dagger

Nearly every if not all flowers and leaves are chipped for sure. That price was definitely high, I often shoot for the moon. Sometimes I get it so it’s worth trying. I can always go down and I’m usually not in a rush. Was hoping someone might recognize the top left mark which I assume is the factory. Probably not worth recognizing as it most likely won’t affect the value but would be nice to know just to satisfy my curiosity.

judy and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Can you get a little closer shot of that mark.

judy and Figtree3 like this.
  5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

To be honest with you I struggle to get rid of this stuff in perfect condition.

I have several pieces from house clearances, brought back by £10 millionaires after their cruises and visits to Italy.
    They cost quite a bit of money when first bought.

There are three listed on eBay identical to three of the larger pieces I have and they have no bids even at £5.

I never paid any money for the ones I have but I wish I didn't have them.

J Dagger, aaroncab, judy and 2 others like this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I know some other people who put on a high price first and will lower it. It does seem to work for them sometimes. In this case, now that you have more information you might end up lowering it. I think the damage on this one would give pause to anybody interested in the general look of it.

J Dagger and judy like this.
  7. J Dagger

Yeh I regretted buying it as soon as I got it home lol. Even with paying next to nothing for it. I still think I’ll realize a worthwhile profit eventually but it’s going to take a while if I do. I could be wrong obviously, my prediction is once I go down to $25ish it will sell. I expect someone locally with cheesy taste will like it enough to make me a little dough. I would doubt highly I’ll sell it via eBae though.

daveydempsey likes this.
  8. J Dagger

Yeh sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. I suppose there are times when it could hurt. The excitement wears off, people get sick of seeing it listed for months with regular price reductions. It could go either way. I do it item by item. Some I could see some random person paying more for than something is worth and others I know there’s a specific competitive well known price range something is very unlikely to sell outside of. Sometimes I’ll get way more than something is worth in a local sale. Someone who isn’t keyed into pricing or collecting and just sees something and buys it without checking to see if they can get it cheaper elsewhere. With this one while I always appreciate any replies and comments I get I actually don’t know any more than when I started. I knew it was “ugly”, broken, and unlikely to sell for my asking price if at all. Just hoping someone may recognize the factory mark to satisfy my curiosity. I don’t anticipate it will sell until I reduce the price by about 60%-70% or so. Just hopeful for that one grandma who loves Italian porcelain, music, and birds and has a blonde grandson whom this boy reminds her of maybe. It only takes one :)

Edit: whoops triple quote!!!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    Figtree3 likes this.
  9. J Dagger

It’s marked really poorly. This is the only other shot I took and I’m out of town. I don’t think a better photo would necessarily help with this mark though. 4F05F5A2-576E-412B-B9A1-271F13273474.jpeg

10. J Dagger

E73B7B84-AE1D-4228-992F-4A51F56062EE.jpeg 634988FB-D8A3-4495-AE14-F25C57193B7A.jpeg
    This is the last item I sold in a local listing a couple days ago. Available for under $15 shipped on eBae. I sold for $40 locally because it’s a cool piece and $40 doesn’t sound that bad for an antique, locally made, hat in great condition. Relative to $13 it sounds horrible but with nothing else to compare it to it sounds pretty good!

A few weeks before that I sold 2x sterling rimmed glass ashtrays for $40 and a small weighted sterling candlestick for $20 to same gentlemen. Most people would scrap them for $5 total but to someone that sounded pretty good. “Sterling rimmed ashtrays for only $20 each!!!! I couldn’t buy that at the store for that price!” :)

Not paying the bills with those items but just the last two examples of things I listed at what most people would consider a crazy price for the items and did “well” with.

Figtree3 and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted