Featured Modeline table lamp

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, Apr 6, 2016.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Here are some more pics of the table lamp I posted in the finds thread. I have found several similar example attributed to Modeline. It was a CA company making lamps in the 50s and 60s. I have not been able to verify this attribution and can find nothing else about the company. A designer named Adrian Pearsall made very similar lamps but this does not appear to be one of his. There are some differences with my lamp that make me wonder if someone else was making these or if there were just manufacturing variations over time. The biggest difference with mine are the shades.

The outer shade on mine has a different pattern to the fabric than any others I have seen. It has hole in the center to optionally mount to a harp which made me think it might not be original to the lamp. It does fit exactly otherwise and the size is exact to some of the others. Most of the others I found did not have detailed enough pictures to see how the shades mounted or if their shades also has the optional hole configuration. Some of the shades I found were of different size and mounted completely differently. I also know that this lamp resided with one family since new and the granddaughter I got it from believed the shade to be original.

The inner shade on mine is of a heavier fiberglass with a rough bubbly texture different than any others I saw. On some the inner shade seemed to be paper. In others, they may have been fiberglass but much thinner and less structural. I also found that most, if not all, seemed to have the inner shade attached to the three upright at the top of the shade. Mine does not attach, nor does it look like any ever did.

I really can not explain why my shades are different than any others found. Some I found seemed to have some replacement shades but they could have been just other variations. The most similar to mine are the ones found on First Dibs. There are three identical there so I have to think they are original. There are others pretty much identical elsewhere. Here is a link to one with good pictures ....

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/lighting/table-lamps/mid-century-table-lamp-modeline/id-f_1790942/

Here are my pics .....

stuff1193.jpg stuff1193a.jpg stuff1193b.jpg stuff1193c.jpg stuff1193d.jpg

2. verybrad

The other thing I wanted to ask about was the damage to my inner shade. As you can see, the metal ring inside the top edge has come loose. It was originally attached with paper like the bottom ring is. It had masking tape on it when I got it that I removed for the pictures. The fiberglass is now deformed and slightly torn there. How would be the best way to repair this? I thought about just gluing it in place but think that a better repair can be executed. My thought is to trim the fiberglass slightly to remove the damage and reattach the ring with paper as originally done. Any other ideas? If I decide to go the route of paper attachment, what kind of paper and adhesive should I use?

3. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Do you have any of the old paper mailing tape that you wet before use? I'd cut strips to size and redo both the top and bottom.
    That sure is a beautiful lamp.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

KingofThings likes this.
  5. verybrad

Thanks for the replies. I don't have the mailing tape but the lamp tape in the link would probably work. I think the white would work and I could tint it if necessary. It seems it is pre-glued and water activated.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The California Secretary of State's Business Search database (for companies registered with the state) has a little information:

Entity Name: MODELINE COMPANY OF CALIFORNIA, INC.
    Entity Number: C0337499
    Date Filed: 05/01/1957
    Jurisdiction: CALIFORNIA
    Entity Address: 110 N. BEAUDRY AVE.
    Entity City, State, Zip: LOS ANGELES CA 90012
    Agent for Service of Process: *
    Agent Address: *
    Agent City, State, Zip: *

* Indicates the information is not contained in the California Secretary of State's database.

I searched through this page: http://kepler.sos.ca.gov/

KingofThings likes this.
  7. Figtree3

KingofThings likes this.
  8. verybrad

Fig,

Thanks. It does help. Now makes me want to search for a California Cactus :woot:

Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
  9. Figtree3

Oh, and looking online, I like the lamp better without the larger outer shade. But maybe they were convertible?

KingofThings and komokwa like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Why hide the wood spires ?

KingofThings likes this.
  11. verybrad

You see a lot of them without the outer shade but I really think they always came with. They certainly sell for more money with the outer shade. As to looking better without the shade, our aesthetic sensibilities might be different than theirs back then.

KingofThings, Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Good enough..

KingofThings likes this.
  13. Just found one yesterday for 5 dollars!!! No shades, but works well! best score of the year. Yours looked really nice, I don't know where to find shades, I'm thinking of using some old stereo cabinet fabric I have and attempt to make my own. Nice seeing your lamp.

KingofThings and cxgirl like this.
  14. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

KingofThings likes this.
  15. David Fields

David Fields New Member

My name is David Fields and i purchased Modeline Lamp from it's founder, Bernie Roberts, in 1977. The lamp about which you are seeking information was, I believe, designed by john Keal, before i acquired the company. It would have been built in the '60s. John later joined me as a shareholder and in house designer. We had an excellent run with multiple new designs, including "California Cactus: by Charles Gibilterra. The old line was discontinued and the new designs were sold to most of the major retailers, ranging from Bloomingdales to Levitz. Unfortunately, we were over leveraged when the financial crisis of 1980 struck, which hit manufacturers of household interiors goods particularly hard, and closed Modeline's doors in 1981. I hope this helps!

djfields@blackboxadvisorsllc.com

16. verybrad

Nice to have your input! I was able to repair the inner shade and ended up selling this to a good friend. Probably could have gotten more elsewhere but it was all profit to me.

KingofThings, Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  17. Charliebfc

Charliebfc Well-Known Member

Really that's cool if you have any old lamps or other household furnishings still around could you post some pictures or even old design drawings ,

18. Georgia1970

Georgia1970 New Member

The 1st time I recall seeing these lamps, I was watching old re-runs of the George Burns & Gracie Allen Show. They had a lamp in the front living /entry way that intrigued me. (See photo)

Episode “Return to California” 1956

The show credits “Brown-Saltman of California” for providing the furnishings.

I looked for 1950’s designers and every time I came across this lamp, it was always associated with Adrien Pearsall. (But this is the internet, so it could have been incorrect)

Also I have seen it made by Modeline.

I also came across this posting in a thread.

dstravinski

- 28 Mar 2016

This may be a little late, given the post is from 2012, but I asked Jim Pearsall, Adrian's son, whether Adrian had ever designed lamps and his answer was "He did not". Jim was active in Craft Associates, so hopefully this information is sound. I asked the question because I saw many Modeline Lamps attributed to Pearsall as well as other designs. He was pretty unequivocal in his answer.

cdsilva

- 28 Mar 2016

I beleive Modeline made many of the floor and table lamps attributed to Pearsall. I have seen this design with a Modeline label,

An unreferenced Pearsall attribution to anything nowadays is pretty much worthless, as he is almost automatically included in any unlabeled carved wood framed piece of furniture. This is a perfect example of caveat emptor, and why it is important to do your own research.

Honestly , for me, I would like to know who to give credit to , but for the most part , I just love the lamp design and would like to stay as original as possible.

I searched several weeks until coming across a set, (rather expensive sets), ranging from $800- $2000. , depending on lamp/shade condition and shade origin and wood type . Some w/shades, some w/o.

After a year or so of searching, I finally came across a set I felt affordable. They have no inner or outer shade and are made from walnut. (See photo)

On the Burns & Allen show, 3 types can be seen on a regular basis. (1st is this design, later added a table and floor lamp) front entry/living, was this particular lamp, in a back hall, a floor lamp matching, but outer shade had been removed, and in the Living Room a wide-narrow shade and much shorter.

I do know there is a floor lamp that is part of the set, same design, just taller.

I also have found, (this base type) 2 types of wood used, Walnut, like the set I have, and teak.

Searching has shown me 3 different variations of the BASE of this lamp, (different designers, manufactures), I assume. (see photo)

I find the half sphere / brass more attractive.

I have also seen it called Modeline, Rocket,

Mine have the inner shade hardware connected with small black clamps to the upper parts, lower connected underneath the socket. Sockets were made from brown bakelite.

All photos that I have seen , except the ones you have shown, have had 1 inner ring (see photos) for the outer shade to sit on the inner shade.

Looking at photos and doing some measuring, the inner shade ring , top & Bottom ,should be 6” D x 12” L, outer top & bottom ring 14.5” D x 17 “L with a 2 ½ “ drop 6 “ inner ring

I have small pieces of the inner shade still attached that I believe are made from fiberglass with a polymer coating, as a lot of shades were in the 50’s. Some replacements look to be white styrene.

Outer shade, I’m not sure what the original material used is. I have seen 3 different types.

The one you have, a type of polyester/cloth/fiberglass & polymer, with a gold honeycomb design. One seems to be made from a copper? / wire mesh (see photo) the Burns & Allen is this type I think and another, a plain white/off white material with a wide grid, similar to burlap? I believe the “burlap” type is probably a replacement.

If anyone comes across a definite maker of these , and what material the shades were , it would be great.

KingofThings likes this.
  19. verybrad

I think we're pretty definite that these are Modeline (Read David Field's post above). My inner shade is definitely fiberglass with a bumpy texture. My outer shade is a stiff lacy material. It has no metal other than the top and bottom rings. It is almost as if it is starched or, perhaps, lacquered to the point it was soaked in it. It is stiff, brittle, and breaks pretty easily. I don't know if this fragility is a function of age or if they were fragile originally. There does seem to be some variety in the shades as they came from the factory so perhaps they moved to a less fragile fabric as the line matured.

KingofThings and komokwa like this.
  20. SeaWolf

SeaWolf New Member

I have come to be the owner of these Modeline lamps by way of seeing the tops sticking out of a trash can! I couldn't believe it - gasp, who throws these away?!!!
    They are in pretty good shape. The felt covering on the bottom of one is mostly gone. Both lamps other than that are in the same condition except the small crack in the brass platted dome on one base.
    The finish on the lower wood base is slightly aged (wood itself is fine) on both and the brass platting is pitted (Being that they were found in a SoCal coastal city, I guess the sea air had a negative effect).
    The brass platted vertical rod up the center is a bit tarnished and worn, but the function works perfectly.
    The walnut sculptured shafts are gorgeous and in perfect condition, as is the walnut knob that rides up the vertical center rod. The small chain that attaches to the sliding knob and activates the socket is attached, perfect and functional
    The inner cylinder shade - made of a fiberglass-type of material - is in perfect condition, attached solidly and the paper liner around the top and bottom is undamaged although a bit dusty. Overall the lamp is very solid and sturdy.
    Such a beautiful, sculptural lamp and so representative of the era.
    This find is a treasure hunters dream, and maybe I should include it in the "best finds thread".

I will attach some images if anyone is interested.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted