Featured Model birch bark canoe

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by David Askett, Jun 6, 2022.

1. David Askett

David Askett Well-Known Member

I picked up this miniature birch bark canoe from a picker friend. At 30” long, it’s quite large, and appears to have a fair bit of age to it. Would it be safe to assume it was made by a Native American? If so, I’d love to know the tribe. I know different tribes had different styles of canoes but so far I’ve had no luck finding a match I’m confident about.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

@cxgirl Didn't you have a model canoe way back when? (I remember someone showing one, but can't remember if it was here or on the eBay boards)

pearlsnblume likes this.
  3. David Askett

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Would it be safe to assume it was made by a Native American?

Umm, Nope !
    I may well be in the style of......but folks of all stripes have been making canoes for a long long time....

pearlsnblume likes this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

David Askett likes this.
  6. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I have a few that are out of Canada. Not that detailed however.

David Askett likes this.
  7. David Askett

Draft saved Draft deleted