Featured Mixed media ?

Discussion in 'Art' started by johnnycb09, May 13, 2016.

1. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

The madness continues .... Picked this 23x17 painting today , I call it mixed media because it seems like gauche and acrylic and oils ? Any input is always appreciated , like the name of a good doctor to stop the insanity ! DSCN4162.JPG DSCN4164.JPG DSCN4168.JPG

2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Well... MM? 2004...

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Is it on canvas? It looks like it was done with felt tips. Kite?

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

no help with your art johnny but that line made me chuckle:)

5. johnnycb09

That's why I called it " mixed " media ! I don't think its a kite , but it does sorta look like one . Ive looked at artists named " M.M. " till my eyes have bled !

6. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

This one has a high school art project feel to it.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Someone very OCD to get that mirror image so exact.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  8. johnnycb09

Its on paper , Millcove . Is it just me , but does anyone else see like can - can dancers legs ? What really sold me on buying it is the frame is very expensive , tempered glass, acid free matting , etc . Plus the colors of course . :)

9. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

I have seen $500 frames on cheap posters and $5 frames on $5000 paintings. Unless you want to reuse the frame you should not use the packaging as any indicator of the value of the contents.

cxgirl likes this.
  10. johnnycb09

Oh Im aware of that Mark . But it was $5 , so the frame was the deciding factor just because I can reuse it . :)

11. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Somewhat off the track... but Johnny will forgive me!
    I paint the edges of my canvasses and do my best to tell buyers to hang 'em on a nail, PLEASE! It's part of the graffiti style I try to conjure up. Well, one lady had me do a custom portrait of herself for herself, complete with neck tattoo. I figured we understood each other, right? So as a thank-you, she sent me a picture of it, framed in what looked to be a very ornate gold nice-furniture-store-type frame. I almost tried to repossess it.

12. johnnycb09

Hilarious ! Im notorious for having tons of frames laying around , my last trip to the thrift I took 15 !

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  13. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I have trunkfuls of frames! I'll never paint enough to fill them.

14. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Kind of butterflyish.

15. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

If you try to arbitrate your customer's tastes, you are sure to fail. While you can suggest that your paintings do not need framing, it is up to your customer to decide whether or not they prefer a frame. Otherwise, you might try incorporating some kind of framing into your artwork that you feel compliments and enhances it.

Artists have been doing this forever. Whether making their own or choosing frames for works, it often removes the customer from the equation of framing. Of course, customers can choose to change frames but tend to more likely keep a framed painting as presented.

Halfred Tygesen went so far as to carve his own frames for his works. While there are many of his works out there without his frames, they have become coveted as much or more than his art. I am sure that many a Tygesen frame has been expropriated for more valuable art. Seems his problem was just the opposite of yours.

[​IMG]

cxgirl, Bakersgma and quirkygirl like this.
  16. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Ah, the voice of reason... I know you're right, Brad.
    It just seems so clear to me that adding a frame is like laying down some additional harmonies on a CD you buy. But that's MY opinion, and...
    Here's where you persuade me... about how I'm trying to remove the customer from the equation. Can't do that. Can't tell 'em where to hang it, either... what height, what light... where does it end? It ends when they buy!
    Uncle. :hilarious:

17. johnnycb09

Oh wow , I LOVE that picture ! Is it yours , Brad ?

18. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not mine. Pic was borrowed from here. Looks to be for sale (Edit: Oops! Fine print in the listing says this is from the sold archives)....

http://funkandgruven.blogspot.com/2015/06/1580-halfred-tygesen-pastel-24-x-19-225.html

I have a Tygeson in storage. Didn't think I had it photographed but a quick search turned it up. Here it is.......

paint2.jpg

I actually like the one I posted first better, though I do like this a lot. Mine appears to be a bit larger as well. Halfred Tygeson is an interesting artist. He believed that original art should be assessable to everyone. Consequently, he worked in pastels on paper and developed a technique that he could work quickly with. While all his works are unique, you will see some similarities and repetitions. I assume that the hand carved frames were an up-charge. There is some additional information about him in the link above. I think his works are undervalued. The one in the link is $225.00. I paid $75.00 for mine many years ago. There are a few on ebay as well.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
    cxgirl and johnnycb09 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted