Miscellaneous Portraits and Posters

Discussion in 'Art' started by Mavota, Apr 30, 2023.

1. Mavota

Mavota Member

Hello all.

I recently bought a lot at auction (in England) which consisted mainly of family trees and pedigrees (which I am interested in), but it also included a few other items, including one which rather took me by surprise (you’ll see what I mean).

1. Print of a naked man. I’ve covered over his genitals (it is very detailed). I think the signature says “Semenzato ‘75” … does anyone know who he is/was?

2. Portrait of a man with glasses. Pencil and purple paint on green paper. I think it says “Edward Samaan 11-6-1976 London” … is that the artist or the sitter?

3. Japanese 1979 calendar. This came in a cardboard tube stamped "Oversea Courier Service Co., Ltd", from "C. Itoh & Co." (a very big corporation) and addressed to Mr. M. Yano at "The Bank of Tokyo, Ltd., Northgate House, 20/24 Moorgate, London".

4. Poster of … mythical scenes? Three copies. It says copyright “Verkerke GMBH Printed in Holland”.

5. Poster of “Crests and Insignia of the Royal Navy”. It seems to be a recruitment poster “devised by the Directorate of Public Relations, Royal Navy”.

6. Poster copy of a portrait of Richard III from the National Portrait Gallery. Published by HM Stationary Office.

7. Poster maps of Surrey and Middlesex.

I’m not interested in keeping any of these, so I’ll either take them to the charity shop, sell, or dump. Would any of this stuff be of interest to anyone, or is it all worthless?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2023
    johnnycb09 likes this.
  2. Mavota

Mavota Member

Here's a photo of the signature on the naked man print.

Also Richard III again (hopefully the right way up this time).

Attached Files:

3. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Mavota-Please post these Pics 'Full Size'.Our kind & generous experts here will be hesitant to keep blowing them up to full size.It'll def up your response level.

4. Mavota

Mavota Member

Sure, here you go. I had posted as thumbnails because I didn't want to take up too much room.

IMG_20230426_211656 - Copy.jpg IMG_20230427_084918 - Copy.jpg IMG_20230427_084924 - Copy.jpg IMG_20230430_155001 - Copy.jpg IMG_20230430_155454 - Copy.jpg IMG_20230430_155747 - Copy.jpg IMG_20230430_160517 - Both.jpg IMG_20230430_160104 - Copy.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

some of these will interest some folks......others , not so much...
    depending on where u r , and where you sell..

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Those are mostly star signs by Johfra (short for Johannes Franciscus), a Dutch artist who painted 'esoteric' art. Very popular in the 1970s.
    He made them for Verkerke, the best known Dutch poster and postcard company.

7. Mavota

Mavota Member

@komokwa
    When I sell stuff (usually books), I use Ebay. I’m UK-based. I did have a look at “vintage posters” on Ebay earlier today but the market seems to be swamped by people doing on-demand reprints. (I’m not sure how they get away with calling a photo-copy vintage, but whatever.)

@Any Jewelry
    Interesting, thanks. I’d never have guessed they were star signs – not something I know anything about. That will help if I do try to sell these.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Mavota

Mavota Member

One issue with selling on Ebay is I'd need to get poster tubes for postage, so if nothing is worth more than about £10 I'll just take the whole lot to the charity shop. Though I'm not sure if they'll thank me for them!

Draft saved Draft deleted