Mintons for T. Goode & Co. Plates - Monogram Identification

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Biju, Jan 10, 2023.

1. Biju

Biju Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone help attribute the monogram on these plates? I'm thinking these could be from a yacht based on the pattern (same pattern was used on J.P. Morgan's Corsair yacht).

Thanks so much!
    thumbnail_IMG_2050.jpg thumbnail_IMG_2054.jpg thumbnail_IMG_2052.jpg thumbnail_IMG_2053.jpg thumbnail_IMG_2050.jpg thumbnail_IMG_2054.jpg thumbnail_IMG_2052.jpg thumbnail_IMG_2053.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Same pattern used for the 1981 marriage of the Prince and Princess of Wales too. Why don't you ask the retailer? They're still in business.

https://www.thomasgoode.com/contact

Debora

Screen Shot 2023-01-10 at 3.29.28 PM.png

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  3. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

4. Biju

Biju Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice Debora! I'll try contacting them. Will post the outcome if they reply.

5. Biju

Biju Well-Known Member

judy likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

As it's a bespoke pattern, the retailer may not be helpful. But never hurts to ask. At the least, they may provide you with earliest date. Or what the code beneath pattern code means.

Debora

Biju likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's a piecework code so that the decorator would get paid.

Debora and Biju like this.
  8. Biju

Biju Well-Known Member

Definitely doesn't hurt to ask. I sent them an email, so fingers crossed. Thank you!

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. Clairej

Clairej New Member

This was made for James Francis Bernard, 4th Earl of Bandon, KP (12 September 1850 – 18 May 1924),he was a British Deputy Lieutenant in Ireland. Bespoke order from Thomas Goode c. 1902.
    Claire. Image copyright Thomas Goode archives.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
  10. Biju

Biju Well-Known Member

Wonderful, thank you so much Claire!! Unfortunately I am not able to open the link to the image you provided. Is there any way you can add the photo in this discussion, or do you have the link to the Thomas Goode archive image (I can't seem to find it on their site)
    Thank you again!
    Biju

bercrystal likes this.
  11. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Claire's image file is set to Private and she needs to change the setting to Public.

Biju likes this.
  12. Clairej

Clairej New Member

I have changed the permissions hope you can see the image. Incidentally I am the Thomas Goode Archivist, and you enquiry caught my eye as I had been asked about items from that set previously in 2021, I understand those were sold again recently.
    Claire
    By the way the poster said they had sent an enquiry recently to Thomas Goode, I didn't receive it.

bluumz, bercrystal, Biju and 3 others like this.
  13. Clairej

Clairej New Member

W196 relates to the Thomas Goode ledger number which had the order in it. We don't have that particular ledger anymore so unlikely to be able to provide more information.

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with us, Clairej. And much appreciate your taking the time to do so.

Debora

15. Ownedbybear

Agreed, thank you - and do please stay around.

16. Ownedbybear

Oh, and talking of which....!

4a..jpg 4b..jpg 4. Coffee cans made for Thomas Goode.jpg

Bakersgma and kentworld like this.
  17. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

18. Biju

Biju Well-Known Member

Thank you so much again Claire!! Yes, I can see the image now. I did just purchase these recently at auction. It's great now knowing the provenance. The inquiry I submitted was via the email info@thomasgoode.com. It's wonderful to know that we now have a Thomas Goode Archivist on this board! Please do let us know what would be the appropriate process/email for submitting inquiries to Thomas Goode - I am sure there are a lot of members here who could benefit from that.
    Kindest regards!
    Biju

bercrystal likes this.
  19. Ownedbybear

They got identified as probably Minton, as I recall. Nice, aren't they.

kentworld likes this.
  20. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

They are delish!

Draft saved Draft deleted