Minton (?) 'Floral Ribbon' serving plate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Tom in Oz, May 17, 2018.

1. Tom in Oz

Tom in Oz New Member

Hello, I'm trying to identify this small (8.5" x 7.5")
    minton plate.jpg minton marks.jpg minton impressed marks.jpg minton plate back.jpg transferware serving plate and have had no luck in identifying the plate's backmarks, impressions or shape. I was told it was made by Mintons but the marks don't match those I have access to.

As the photos show, the plate is marked 'Floral Ribbon' which I presume is the pattern. Impressions include 'B B' (best body?) and 'New Stone' and some symbols plus some red hand lettering. I'm presuming the impressed symbols are read the same way up as the New Stone impression. Don't know if the red lettering is read this way or is upside down to match the 'Floral Ribbon' mark. If it's the latter, is it indicating 21 April and a Minton year date of 1868?

The U or horseshoe shaped impression under the red lettering has 6 raised dots in it, possibly 7. There are no internal marks in the middle symbol or crescent.

Any guidance or suggestions as to identifying its manufacture and age most welcome.
    Thanks
    Tom

cxgirl likes this.
  2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted