Miniature Yixing Pot

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, May 28, 2017.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

IMG_4713.JPG IMG_4716.JPG IMG_4717.JPG IMG_4718.JPG IMG_4719.JPG Any thoughts on if old or modern?
    To me it looks like hand potted rather than fully molded. Some patina but can't tell if natural or not. Good fit on the lid but still a bit of a play.
    Thanks

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

These small teapots were used to make/brew the tea. The tea would be strong and hot water would be added to it from a larger pot, our teapot size.
    Did you check Gotheborg?
    http://www.gotheborg.com/marks/yixing.shtml

3. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Have not checked it yet. The database with yixing marks is very limited on the English websites. I have other sources as well but takes a lot of time to find what you are looking for, especially when you don't know Chinese :)
    By the way, a yixing piece does not have to be old to be of a decent value. All depends on the maker. A good and rare design also helps. This being of a common shape, even older, I'd think will have modest value.
    As most of you know already know, Chinese buyers will always tell which piece is worth bidding on so unless I suspect an Imperial piece, I don't spend much time researching.

dgbjwc, yourturntoloveit and cxgirl like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted