Featured miniature wood chest questions

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by antarctica, Jul 5, 2024 at 1:14 PM.

1. antarctica

antarctica New Member

Hello,
    First time post here. I've been trying to search for information about a miniature wooden chest that I recently received from my mom's estate. It was given to her by a family friend who was a cabinet maker and lover of antiques about 50 years ago. I haven't come across anything quite like it (each drawer has a sliding lid) while searching the internet. It seems like there are a lot of knowledgable people on this forum. I love it and am not looking to part with it. Any info would be great. Thanks. IMG_8334.jpeg IMG_8336.jpeg IMG_8321.jpeg IMG_8323.jpeg IMG_8324.jpeg IMG_8326.jpeg IMG_8327.jpeg IMG_8319.jpeg

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Seems to be a one of a kind storage cabinet. Maybe for a collector, hobbyist, or machinist. Used to organize and utilize small items. Drawers are meant to be pulled and used away from the case. Looks to have some age to it but impossible to tell how much. Wood is mostly tiger maple. What is the odd mahogany box on top?

cxgirl, kentworld, Marote and 3 others like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's unique......likely a OOAK...
    and it's delicious //// in it's design a beauty !!!
    a little gem !!!!

thanks for showing it to us !!!!

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Made to hold bits of something, for sure. I'd say more likely sewing and embroidery tools than bits and bolts. Most workshop pieces weren't as pretty.

Marote likes this.
  5. antarctica

antarctica New Member

Thanks so much! I was wondering what that cube with the inlay on top was too. Do either of these look like a maker mark? I have no idea how old this box is. The first photo is from the bottom of the second drawer and the second photo is from the sliding lid of the second drawer. Again, thanks. IMG_8337.jpeg IMG_8338.jpeg

cxgirl likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that 1830 sure looks legit ...

cxgirl likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted