Miniature Watercolors Of Austrian Lakes

Discussion in 'Art' started by kardinalisimo, Sep 29, 2014.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

I am guessing a tourist souvenir piece?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'm sure you've looked up the names. Is it Swiss? Probably souvenir paintings, but I like them. They're nice, crisp watercolors. I think the area of mat is a bit overwhelming.

OOPS! You said Austrian. Nerts!

3. kardinalisimo

Wonder if they came like that or were reframed and rematted.

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I really like the watercolors, the framing is not giving me good vibes. I would take it apart and see if the scenes are larger and rectangles. If not, give the glass a good cleaning and reframe. JMHO.
    greg

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's very possible that the pictures are rectangular, but I think I'm seeing light mat burn from acidic paper. Even if you de-frame (un-frame?) these, one way or another the circles will be clearly defined. Try to preserve the mat because circles are a real pain to cut and you probably don't want the expense of re-framing. An acid-free gasket might suffice to stop further damage from the mat.

6. kardinalisimo

I really don't want to take it out of the frame. But I am curious if there is some information somewhere about the pieces. Doubt that if there are signatures that would matter if the paintings are souvenirs.
    By the way they are just 3" in diameter.
    To me it looks like the titiles of the lakes are written in a way that follows the lines of the circle( especially the bottom one) and that makes me think they were possibly made to be round.
    I will post pictures if I decide to open it.

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

You're probably right about them intended to be circular. Beyond knowing where the scenes are, there's probably no more info out there. It's possible you will find more info if you open it up, but it's more possible you won't.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted