MINIATURE REVERSE PAINTED ON GLASS COLONIAL UNCLE SAM? DANCING w/A FEATHER 4 MATTING?!

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Dec 31, 2017.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Found this at a yard sale - weirdest/most ingenious (not sure which) thing I've seen in a while! It's a miniature (3.5" x 2.5") reverse painted on glass of a colonial era? (their clothing) or civil war? era (their clothing's colors) couple - or Uncle Sam & his wife (clothes & colors again) dancing.
    The unusual thing is when I took off the back to try to find a signature (none) after cardboard, then tissue type paper, there was a feather & maybe a berry branch/or seaweed used for matting/background!
    Has anyone seen this before?
    Can anyone tell how old this is?
    As always I appreciate any help.
    AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING MINIATURE REVERSE ON GLASS 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING MINIATURE REVERSE ON GLASS 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING MINIATURE REVERSE ON GLASS 3A_AAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING MINIATURE REVERSE ON GLASS 4AA.jpg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Interesting... I hope somebody knows about this.

judy likes this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

This was a craft kit project some time in the 1930s to the early 50s. They'd give you a pre-printed piece of glass and you'd add the colors. The early ones had aluminum foil in back of the image. The later ones evidently could use anything interesting.

4. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Not feathers, milkweed silk/floss - might be a kit, but there were a number of early to mid 20th century cottage industries producing pictures, trays, boxes, etc., reverse painted (most often silhouettes) with milkweed and other dried vegetation backgrounds...

~Cheryl

Figtree3, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

My memory is shot. What was the name of the 1930s company that produced these Colonial design framed prints???

Draft saved Draft deleted